Will buying a new router solve this problem?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hi, I'm asking this on behalf of a friend whose internet is cutting out randomly every second day or so. When he rings up the ISP they say to reset the router, and it does work. So pretty much the internet stops working or gets unbearably slow quite often, and you have to reset the router to make it work again. The guys at customer support say its not the router, and its just something you have to deal with, but its really annoying!

I have the same router as him, and I suffer the same problem (although not as frequently). We both own the exact same router, but are using different ISPs. He also lives in a different region, about 1.5 hours drive from where I live.

So: Will buying a new router (An Airport extreme perhaps?) fix this? We got no problem buying a new router, as long as it will fix the problem.

What do you guys think?

2. Rowf macrumors regular

Try changing the filter that sits between the 'phone socket and the router first.
    I had the same problem and it fixed it.

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What do you mean? There isn't anything in-between my router and phone-jack except an ADSL/Phone adaptor. Is that what you mean by filter?

4. Rowf macrumors regular

Yes that's what I mean, the router cable goes in one socket and the 'phone cable goes in the other and whole thing plugs into the wall socket for the telephone.

5. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I see. So you reckon replacing that will fix the problem states above? :)

6. Rowf macrumors regular

Well, I had the same problem and it fixed it for me.
    They're cheap to buy and it's worth a try, maybe if your router is working o.k you could swap filters with your friend and see if there's an improvement.
    No guarantee, it's just what I would try first before spending on a new router.

7. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Recently I have been experiencing slow Internet performance. Either fast downloads or incredibly slow uploads, or the Internet stopped.
    Called charter and dealt with the script followers.
    A tech came out and discovered low signals to my house.
    Then the line guys checked the line on the street.
    Squirrels had eaten the line in several areas.
    I tried several modems and several routers.
    It made no difference.I also have a separate phone and cable modem.
    During this period my phone modem actually smoked itself.
    So know I do have a newer cable modem, phone modem and a temporary line in place and everything is fine.
    All my problems with Internet access has yet to be anything after the first split of the incoming line, regardless of what charter wants to think.

8. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Thanks I'll pick up a new filter next time I'm in town :D

9. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

why are you trying so hard to avoid revealing the router in question? this could help as others may have experience with this router and could help you, but by trying to keep it anonymous, you're only making things more difficult for everyone else. and if that's your intent, then why ask?

one thing people dont consider is that routers can overheat. it's the most common problem that is also the most overlooked. if it overheats too frequently or gets too hot at any point, permanent damage can occur, resulting in issues that can be temporarily resolved by resetting. ultimately it needs to be replaced anyways.

10. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The router is a D-Link DSL G604T, its roughly five years old, and here's a shot of what it looks like if it helps:

BTW about the overheating, the router gets warm frequently, but it doesn't get really hot (I don't think). It stays on 24/7 and I need to reset it often it the morning when I go to use the internet for the first time that day.

Attached Files:

11. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Well if you need to reset it every morning, it could be (it is) that your ISP's router is only giving you a 24 hour lease on your IP address.