Will Camera.app save RAW files, or just 3rd party?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StuMcBill, Sep 13, 2016.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

When I had an LG G4, and its capability to shoot RAW files, there was an option for the default camera app to save RAW files, and compressed JPG files.

Will iOS 10 and iPhone 7 do this, or is it only 3rd party apps that will save RAW?

Stewart

2. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Came here looking for the answer to this as well. Guess I'll just have to upgrade and see.

We do know that all 12MP cameras are supported, including 6S and 6S Plus, so the previous model gets RAW mode as well.

3. Rafterman macrumors 68000

On an iPhone 6S Plus, the iOS 10 camera app doesn't appear to save RAW files.

But Adobe Lightroom app's built camera does have the option to save as RAW DNG files.

4. Time Less macrumors 6502

Time Less

Rene Ritchie was told by Apple no, it's jpg only and 3rd party apps have the option to enable RAW.

5. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

3rd party only, no RAW capture in Apple camera app.

6. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

I have no clue why Apple wouldn't offer it, at least in the settings where you can already choose video resolution etc.

Why do you need to use e.g. Lightroom... The API's are there (and thanks for that), but would love to have it directly in the Camera app.

7. cynics macrumors G3

Probably so they don't need to worry about device and iCloud storage "issues" for those that don't have a firm understanding of RAW.

It would be nice for people like you that would utilize it and people like me that at least understand it. But I think we are a miniority when it comes to iPhone users.

8. Time Less, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  9. Gizmotoy, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016

Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Darn. This likely means RAW isn't supported in the Camera Roll, and thus won't work with any sync/automation processes currently available. That stinks.

As a desktop Lightroom user, Lightroom on the iPhone is not very good.

Edit:

If anyone else is wondering, RAW photos taken by 3rd party apps do end up in your camera roll. The 3rd party app will embed a low-quality JPG for apps without RAW support to use.

Interestingly, Google Photos already supports RAW. I took a picture in RAW, Google Photos recognized and uploaded it, and it synchronized back to Lightroom. Looking at the DNG in Lightroom shows its a standard RAW DNG. Pretty pumped.

10. msavic macrumors 6502

Has LightRoom been updated to support RAW image manipulation without a Creative Cloud subscription? The android version can do this but since I'm more than satisfied with LightRoom 5 on my desktop, I'm not going to pay the monthly subscription fee just to edit on a mobile device.

11. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Is Creative Cloud required to use LR on iOS?

Can I use it as a standalone app without any subscriptions?

12. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

The LR description says it requires a membership to edit RAW. Not sure about shooting but there is no way to enable saving to camera roll as default anyway.

Your best using ProCam 4 as the RAW camera, then Snapseed as the Raw editor.

13. HaydenWI macrumors member

That's quite disappointing.

14. msavic macrumors 6502

I'm not sure why Adobe decides to charge iOS users extra just to gain the same functionality as is present on the Android version for free. Snapseed is also not as intuitive for the edits and I prefer having a cohesive experience that mirrors the software I use on my Desktop which is LightRoom 5.