Will CarbonCopyCloner catch VMs and Bootcamp partitions?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gotzero, Aug 21, 2008.

1. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am running a carbon copy cloner to switch out a hard drive, and for the first time am using a drive with several VMs and a Vista bootcamp partition on it. Will CCC catch all of these?

I ran a search but did not find what I need, sorry if it is obvious somewhere. Thanks!

2. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

Good question, I'm interested in the answer myself.

3. Cadium macrumors member

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) should capture these files in the backup unless you tell it otherwise.

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I know nothing about CCC, but i have used Superduper to clone my Mac partition and Winclone for the Vista partition. I have resized my Vista partition twice without any problems using these.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

all CCC needs is to be able to read it..

macs have READ only access to NTFS partitions so i see no reason why it wont work.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Here's another vote for Winclone for the Windows partition- while still using CCC or SuperDuper for the OSX stuff. While I have not delved into it, there is a reason WinClone was developed- and it works great for XP or Vista, FAT32 or NTFS.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahhh yes winclone is a goodprogram. i used that to recover my damaged xp HD, it worked like a charm.

8. gotzero thread starter macrumors 68040

The mac portion went over perfectly, the windows partition messed everything up. I am going to start over.

I have the new HDD installed, and will try to port over the originals from the external. I am going to bed for now, and will try tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

EDIT:

I am going to erase the internal HDD, redo the CCC, and then try Winclone. Thanks everyone!

9. gotzero thread starter macrumors 68040

I reinstalled Vista, and now want to run Winclone to copy everything from my original drive to my new one. What partition to I select for the image? I am worried if I select the new Vista partition, it will overwrite it, no?

I would appreciate any help, thanks!

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea it will overwrite it, you need to copy everything yourself... im not aware of any programs to do this automatically. osx has a good feature for migrating :) windows does not