Will CD-R discs run on a Powerbook G3 Wall Street?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Morrisphilco, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Morrisphilco macrumors newbie

The CD-ROM drive M2451 in particular. Wondering because I just pick up a G3 Wall Street and the disc drive is broken, I only want to get a new drive if I'll know cd-r/recorded discs will run.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should. CD-RWs, maybe not. But CD-R discs that have data burnt to them should.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

Mine did when I had one. As Intell said CD-R/W is less likely. Best to use a brand with a decent dye, like Verbatim.

4. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

We don't like Intell around these parts ;)

5. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Why not? He contributes quite a bit to the PowerPC section of the site.

6. JohnnyH1012 macrumors member

Because his name is fairly similar to a chip manufacturer that stole our beloved future from us... to be overly dramatic.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

My username is from the name my sister gave my high school art project, the orange Muppet you see to the left.

8. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

Why can't we all just get along:)

Oh and BTW, I used CDR and IIRC CDRW in my Main Street.

9. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

You'll want/need Verbatim "Data-Life" as the Azo Dye is dark enough for the laser to read it with minimal read errors... trayloader iMac G3s used similar CD-ROM drives as the Wall Street/Lombard.

Don't waste time burning CMC Magnetics media(store brand/Memorex/etc) or retail store Verbatim CD-R(rebranded CMC Magnetics/India Moser-Baer) as the dye is too thin for the laser to read it.

CDRW media will work on 90s era Macs, it still comes down to who the maker is and quality. I've had good luck using Philips, Imation, Verbatim CDRW media on older Macs but as the media ages the re-writes/skin oils on the upper layer(label area) will make them more unstable over time.

...since all PowerBook G3s have a PCMCIA slot, you can still buy a low-cost USB/USB 2.0 card at a reasonable price and use a flash drive for shuffling files.