Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morrisphilco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
The CD-ROM drive M2451 in particular. Wondering because I just pick up a G3 Wall Street and the disc drive is broken, I only want to get a new drive if I'll know cd-r/recorded discs will run.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Mine did when I had one. As Intell said CD-R/W is less likely. Best to use a brand with a decent dye, like Verbatim.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My username is from the name my sister gave my high school art project, the orange Muppet you see to the left.

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
You'll want/need Verbatim "Data-Life" as the Azo Dye is dark enough for the laser to read it with minimal read errors... trayloader iMac G3s used similar CD-ROM drives as the Wall Street/Lombard.

Don't waste time burning CMC Magnetics media(store brand/Memorex/etc) or retail store Verbatim CD-R(rebranded CMC Magnetics/India Moser-Baer) as the dye is too thin for the laser to read it.

CDRW media will work on 90s era Macs, it still comes down to who the maker is and quality. I've had good luck using Philips, Imation, Verbatim CDRW media on older Macs but as the media ages the re-writes/skin oils on the upper layer(label area) will make them more unstable over time.

...since all PowerBook G3s have a PCMCIA slot, you can still buy a low-cost USB/USB 2.0 card at a reasonable price and use a flash drive for shuffling files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.