Will Changing Apple Logo on Macbook Void Warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Sep 2, 2008.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've had my Macbook since Dec. 2006 and the AppleCare will expire this Dec. in a few months.

I've noticed I could change the color of my Apple Logo on my Macbook and am wondering if the plethora of people in this Mac forum would agree if this is an okay idea.

http://www.icolours.ca/index.html

I don't think I'd like to void the warranty on purpose so am wondering if opening up the display to insert the color sheet with do any voiding. That or if I could easily take out the color sheet before sending it in to Apple, but I would never do such a thing cheating Apple Inc! But still curious on that answer.

If push comes to shove concerning the warranty I just might wait till it expires this Dec. but would have liked to walk around campus this Fall semester with a unique looking Mac.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes it would but couldn't it easily be turned back to normal if he ever had to take it in?

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It will void the warranty.

Also, from personal experience (at least with my PowerBook G4). It is very hard to open up the screen without damage in the form of scratches along the seem and if you are as unlucky as me, stress marks on in the screen itself. That said, the plastic in the Macbook may be more forgiving but I wouldn't do it until you warranty is up.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

hmm really?

Would the entire warranty be voided or just the display portion of it?

I ask cause I've had to turn in my Macbook in about 2-3 times within the past few years cause a crack always starts to display on the bottom of the keyboard, not by the keys but by where the magnets would touch when the MAcbook is closed. I've been told on every occasion that some lose holdings are inside the mac and if i ever have this problem to not hesistate when turning it in. Just in case i'd need to turn it in for that reason.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Can you actually get to the display without removing the bottom case first? Basically you will have to disassemble so much of the machine that almost anything that may go wrong could have been broken by you. Basically just ait till December. It's not going to kill you for 4 months :p

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Yes, it would void your warranty.

If you're concerned about the keyboard continuing to crack, I would recommend that you buy Applecare so you can continue to get free support. It means sacrificing a nicer looking Apple logo, but it could also mean having a nicer looking keyboard as well.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Physically changing the color of the logo would invalidate Apple Care if it is found that the work caused any problems.

TEG

9. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I hope you are not a Maths student - you have more than a year to wait - December 2006 plus 3 years means it expires December 2009......

MacBooks were announced May 2006 so you could not have bought one in December 2005.

You have almost 15 months to walk about with a MacBook like everyone else !!

10. rogair macrumors member

This man speaks the truth. And it's your machine, do whatever you want with it. The warranty is only voided if the work YOU do creates problems that Apple has to work on.

For example, you apply the colored skin yourself, but break the LVDS cable in the process. Apple will then deny the replacement LVDS cable coverage. But they won't deny a failed HD, or bad RAM, or faulty optical drive, down the road.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes, but they could claim that opening the computer caused said problems.

I wouldn't do anything to it if it's still under warranty, to be safe.

12. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

i think i;ll just wait till dec, only a few months away.

as for applecare its 2 yrs warranty not 3 so think i;ll just wait till dec.

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

uhh .. its 2 extra years, making it 3 years from the date of purchase...

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

why does it list the installation in the macbook as extreamly difficult? it looked pretty damn easy to me...

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Certainly correct--

To the OP, you can also check warranty status dates on the Apple website by entering your serial number here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

The results should be pleasing since I think you will find you have a year longer than you think you do! :D

16. tominco macrumors member

The FAQ on the web page you included says

"3. Will installing your products void my warranty?
    Yes."

I will say they look cool, but not worth losing a warranty.