Will Changing Keyboard Void Applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nickXedge, Nov 26, 2008.

1. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I have a Macbook 2.0Ghz Santa Rosa with Applecare. The last thing I want to do is void my warranty, however I have recently realized how cheap it can be to change the keyboard or the top case altogether.

So does anyone know if changing the top case or just the keyboard itself will void the warranty? I assume it does because you have to take a decent amount of the computer apart in order to detach and reattach.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Well, if they find out, yes. If you don't break anything in the process they'll have nothing to put against you.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I like the way the new ones look, and although I don't have the ability to make the keyboard backlit, I would like to get a black keyboard, or a black top-case and switch it out with mine. If I changed the whole top-case to a black one I think the two-tone would look nice.

If I change it, and then a year down the line have a problem with something else are they going to throw it at me and say that it's because of the top-case I changed or will they diagnose it properly and still honor the AppleCare?

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

If it looks completely different, they'll have every reason to void your warranty.

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

just change everything back before you bring it in.

7. StuBeck macrumors 6502

They'll use it as a reason to disallow any warranty work most likely. Its unfortunate but it makes sense from a support point of view.

8. UrielSynthesis macrumors newbie

changing out just the keys shouldnt be an issue. They are made to be removeable for cleaning, etc., and there are videos on youtube of how to do it. Just put the original keys back when you are done. Even you damage the mechanism on them, Apple isn't going to care unless you are specifically trying to get the keyboard serviced (after all, that kind of damage can happen to anyone, even if they arent doing mods). As has been said before, put the original keys back on before bringing it in.

Replacing the entire top surface, however, is a different story. Its safe to say you would be voiding your warranty to do that.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well think about it. if you sell someone something and you warranty it, what would you tell them if they bring it in to you for repair under warranty and theyve taken half of it apart already? i personally would say "screw you, youre paying to get it repaired"

10. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I appreciate all the feedback. Maybe I'll just pop out the keys themselves and do that. Rather do it the simple and safe way.

And likemyorbs, I hope you don't work in customer service because I would imagine you would not be very good at it. If I were your manager and you told a customer "screw you" I would fire you on the spot and give the customer anything they wanted.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

believe it or not i do work in customer service and customers come in all mad that outrageous things aren't covered under warranty, i dont literally say screw you but my managers always back me up...point of the matter is you dont completely disassemble something and expect it to be covered under warranty

12. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

+1

I know from experience, not personal but a friend of mine took his apart trying to remove something that was Wedged underneath his "T" key. Went to the Apple store and they told him he should have just brought the computer into them instead of opening himself because now he had made the warrant Void.