Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
I've run into an issue I'm trying to get sorted out. I just got a new Mac mini (16 GB/512 GB) and when I get into Citrix Workspace to access my company's system, I can do everything just fine with the one exception that any time I use Command + any other key (e.g Command-c to copy, command-a to select all, etc.), it causes Citrix to unexpectedly quit and gives me an error report.

I've tried restarted everything to no avail.

I tried to recreate the problem on my late 2013 rMBP that I'd been using and no issues there. And no issues with command+__ in any usage case outside of the Citrix Workspace app.

They are both running Big Sur 11.1 and the newest version of the Citrix Workspace app, so the only think I can think of is that it is somehow related to the M1 chip, but no idea whether that would cause the issue or not.

Anyone else run into this issue with their new M1 Macs?

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I've run into an issue I'm trying to get sorted out. I just got a new Mac mini (16 GB/512 GB) and when I get into Citrix Workspace to access my company's system, I can do everything just fine with the one exception that any time I use Command + any other key (e.g Command-c to copy, command-a to select all, etc.), it causes Citrix to unexpectedly quit and gives me an error report.

I've tried restarted everything to no avail.

I tried to recreate the problem on my late 2013 rMBP that I'd been using and no issues there. And no issues with command+__ in any usage case outside of the Citrix Workspace app.

They are both running Big Sur 11.1 and the newest version of the Citrix Workspace app, so the only think I can think of is that it is somehow related to the M1 chip, but no idea whether that would cause the issue or not.

Anyone else run into this issue with their new M1 Macs?
I know this probably won't help in the way you might want, but I'm not having that issue on my M1 MBP 16GB/2TB. I'm able to get logged into my work's portal and although I can right click on all listed apps, nothing's happening when I do. I would suggest reporting it to Citrix if you can, or just waiting it out until their next update. Are you using the release version or their beta?

Reactions: ascender

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
I know this probably won't help in the way you might want, but I'm not having that issue on my M1 MBP 16GB/2TB. I'm able to get logged into my work's portal and although I can right click on all listed apps, nothing's happening when I do. I would suggest reporting it to Citrix if you can, or just waiting it out until their next update. Are you using the release version or their beta?

I've reported it to our IT department and trying to figure out how I can directly report it to Citrix since the account is through out company and not me (for example, I can't access Citrix live chat due to not having that specific service). When I try to submit a report at Citrix, it takes me to a page about my "support options" and then gives me a link to go purchase a support plan.

I am using the release version directly from Citrix's website - Version 20.12.0.3 (2012) with release date of 12/2/2020.

Reactions: gank41

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I've reported it to our IT department and trying to figure out how I can directly report it to Citrix since the account is through out company and not me (for example, I can't access Citrix live chat due to not having that specific service).

I am using the release version directly from Citrix's website - Version 20.12.0.3 (2012) with release date of 12/2/2020.
When Citrix first announced their initial M1 support thru a beta release, there was an option to report feedback in the menu bar icon similar to how the Parallels Tech Preview has the email envelope option in the menu bar. In the official release there is an option to email log files, but then that just opens an email and adds the log files as an attachment with no recipient listed. Which isn't super helpful if you don't know who to send it to...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 12.42.36 PM.jpeg

Reactions: Captain Trips

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
When Citrix first announced their initial M1 support thru a beta release, there was an option to report feedback in the menu bar icon similar to how the Parallels Tech Preview has the email envelope option in the menu bar. In the official release there is an option to email log files, but then that just opens an email and adds the log files as an attachment with no recipient listed. Which isn't super helpful if you don't know who to send it to...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 1702549
Yep - not especially helpful since they don't pre-fill an email address for you. I've just posted a question on the Citrix support forums and I just got off the phone with Apple where the rep pushed the report up to engineering. We'll see what they say.

I can use the mouse to right click for copy and paste if they are going to have a fix relatively soon. But if it's going to be a long-term issue related to the M1, I don't know that I can tolerate it that long.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
Yep - not especially helpful since they don't pre-fill an email address for you. I've just posted a question on the Citrix support forums and I just got off the phone with Apple where the rep pushed the report up to engineering. We'll see what they say.

I can use the mouse to right click for copy and paste if they are going to have a fix relatively soon. But if it's going to be a long-term issue related to the M1, I don't know that I can tolerate it that long.
It appears that it's tied to the USB/Mac mini/Citrix interface somehow. I connected the keyboard via Bluetooth, rather than the USB dongle, and it seems to work fine now. It works upon restart of the Citrix app, logout/login, etc.

However, if I plug the USB dongle back in and restart, I run into the original issue inside of the CITRIX Workspace app.

Still no issues whatsoever outside of the Citrix app though. I've tried multiple ports on the hub I've got and still have the same problem if I try to run it via USB.

So, it seems that there is some bug within the Mac mini/CITRIX Workspace app that is causing the issue when USB is used for the keyboard (since it doesn't cause the problem when I run it via USB through my late 2013 rMBP).

I think it may be this that is listed as a known issue on the Citrix page for the current download (https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-workspace-app-for-mac/whats-new.html#known-issues)
  • On macOS Big Sur (11.0.1), attempts to connect USB devices might fail, causing the session to exit unexpectedly. As a workaround, reconnect the USB device. [RFMAC-7079]
I'll see what IT can do since it may be on the company side of Citrix, though it looks like it could be related to the know issue above. I'll be interested to see what, if anything, Apple says when they are supposed to follow up with me tomorrow.

Last edited:

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
I use the MacBook keyboard and Magic Mouse 2
Gotcha. Yeah, it's not causing me issues if I use the Logitech keyboard via bluetooth, or if I sign in using my MacBook (in which I can use that keyboard or the Logitech via dongle). It only causes issues when I use the Mac mini with dongle for the Logitech keyboard.

azt33

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Switzerland
How's Citrix Workspace holding up after some prolonged use? I am still in the boat to switch to an M1 (although I have half a mind to wait for the updated 14" models...), but Citrix Workspace is a must for me.

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
How's Citrix Workspace holding up after some prolonged use? I am still in the boat to switch to an M1 (although I have half a mind to wait for the updated 14" models...), but Citrix Workspace is a must for me.
It's been fine for me once I switched keyboard and mouse to bluetooth connection. There's a workaround if you use the USB dongles if you ran into the same issue I did of it unexpectedly quitting.

But overall, it's been fine.

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I’ve had no issues at all, and I tend to run a number of Citrix apps including a OneDesktop session for a long period of time.

azt33

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Switzerland
That's great to hear! I'm still tempted to potentially pick up a MBA M1 for this year, while I wait for the 14" MBP M1. I notice my current MBP is getting quite slow, especially with FCPX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.