Will clean install clear itunes authorizations?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rumfoord2101, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Rumfoord2101 macrumors newbie

Not sure how this works. Going to do an erase and install with Snow Leopard. Will I need to reenter any authorization passwords for itunes music I am currently authorized to use?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Indeed you will. I assume you have a backup of all your music, etc.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

iTunes authorization is supposed to be tied to the machine, not an install of OS X. That being said the few times I've reinstalled OS X, I've unauthorized iTunes, reinstalled, then reauthorized. Either way, you will have to reenter your password.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The wording is weird for me but if you don't deauthorize the machine and you reinstall your OS, your iTunes account will view that same machine as a new machine. If you're at the max, or near it, you'll want to ensure you either have Apple deauthorize all for you or deauthorize your current machine first.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I thought if you reinstalled, you needed to enter your password, but it didn't count against your authorization total (unless there were major hardware changes).

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Won't count against you

I just reimaged my iMac and MBP about a month ago. iTunes asks you to reauthorize the first time that you try to play a protected file (post-DRM Plus songs don't need authorization). However, if you have authorized the computer in the past, it will recognize that as the same system and not count the authorization against your 5-computer limit. I can't remember if it actually says that it's already authorized or not, but my number count didn't go up.

7. Rumfoord2101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for the info.
    Thats what I was afraid of...

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm confused? What are you afraid of? :confused:

9. Rumfoord2101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just have a couple of albums I purchased through an old roommates account before I had an iTunes account of my own. He latter authorized my computer but I wont be calling an old friend just to get reauthorized. No biggie though; I'll just repurchase them down the road.

Thanks