Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, it is recommended to use only damped microfiber cloth to clean the screen as using other solutions could cause screen gate issue. If I do the cleaning 3-7 days a week, will there be a problem?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Should be fine just using water, as long as the cloth is clean (so as not to scratch with dirt).

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2019
I don’t know, but that often seems maybe excessive... I’ll tell you though. ever since I made a conscious decision not to face my computer screen while coughing or sneezing I’ve had to clean it a lot less often. Most of what I was cleaning were little spit droplets ?

Reactions: bernuli

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Should be fine just using water, as long as the cloth is clean (so as not to scratch with dirt).

Thanks for the suggestion. I use a duster to remove the dust first and then use the damped cloth.
[automerge]1589118426[/automerge]
I don’t know, but that often seems maybe excessive... I’ll tell you though. ever since I made a conscious decision not to face my computer screen while coughing or sneezing I’ve had to clean it a lot less often. Most of what I was cleaning were little spit droplets ?

Thanks. The MBP 16" 2019 screen seems to be a dust/finger-print magnet. I don't recall needing to do cleaning often when using older MBP and recent Thinkpad.

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I will share with you my stategy (working since 2006). I have a “thing” (still not OCD ?) about keeping ALL my screens clean. I have never damaged coating (laptops, iPhones, binoculars, car dashboard etc.).

1. Limit number of times you do complete screen wiping. I do it once a year max. Or if I mess up (coughed on it or my bestie eats orange in front of screen).
2. Remove dust regularly with Swiffer or similar product. Do it before you touch your screen with any cloth.
3. Regularly remove small spots only by breathing some moisture and wiping with a very good quality and CLEAN microfiber. Preferably old school microfibre included with old iMacs/MacBooks (if you have one). You can use Oakley cloth for HDO/Prism lenses. I like cloths Lindberg provides for glasses (huge fan of their products).
4. For complete screen wiping I currently use Woosh or diluted isopropyl alcohol with distilled water (20%/80%). Previously I had BASF made wet/dry cleaning clothes (discontinued). I always clean only 1/4 of a screen at a time - wet cycle then dry cycle. I clean rubber gasket around screen as well.

Reactions: yaboid01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.