Will closing email account affect my iTunes account?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Apple a Day, May 2, 2015.

1. Apple a Day macrumors newbie

Apple a Day

Like many of us I desire to close a legacy iTunes account (gmail address) and transfer all purchases over to my iCloud account. As we all know, this is not yet possible.

I desire to close my Gmail account with Google at this time and am concerned about the consequences this will have on my iTunes account. My Gmail iTunes account has been my primary account for purchases for years. If I close my Gmail account, and have my iCloud email as a secondary email for that account, am I at risk of losing anything? I should receive iTunes purchase receipts to the iCloud account because it is an alternate email. Also, as far as I know, an open email account is not required, as I can still login to my iTunes account using the Gmail username and my password. Are there any ramifications here that I don't see. I have hundreds of dollars in purchases that I don't want to risk losing.

In case you are curious, I desire to close my Gmail account due to Google's questionable privacy policies.

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

For now I would keep of open, or change it to an @outlook.com account. I ditched gmail too and changed my iTunes to @outlook.