will continuous charge be harmful?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JustOneQuickONe, Feb 10, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I am thinking of getting a new cord for my car stereo that will charge the iPod while playing it. Will the continuous charge be bad for it? I will most likely be taking the iPod with me to use when leaving the car then plugging it back in to play it when in the car. Will the constant charge of the battery and slight discharge followed by another charge (ipod being in car, leaving, coming back) kill the battery life?

2. pilotrtc macrumors regular

I don't think so

As long as you periodically (once a month I think is good) completely drain it and leave it drained for a few hours before recharging, I think you'll be OK.

On this page:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html

is this paragraph:

Use iPod Regularly

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month. If you use your iPod infrequently (gasp), you might want to add a reminder to your calendar program.

3. JAT macrumors 603

When the battery is full, it stops charging and is simply "plugged in", I believe.

Lithium is better than other battery tech at surviving torture tests like frequent partial charging. But should still have some maintenance. Once a month full drain should be good. That is what is recommended for laptop batteries, too.

4. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

alright sounds good, I'm going to place my order... and just remember to kill the iPod once a month haha