Will converting hours and hours of video in VisualHub kill my MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maclover001, Oct 14, 2008.

1. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

I have the 2.0GHz Santa Rosa white MacBook, I want to convert my entire TV Show collection to iTunes MP4 with VisualHub, just curious if the MacBook can take something that intensive for several hours+.

2. yabai macrumors member

I have a Core Duo Blackbook, which gets much hotter than your model and is slower. I've converted videos using Visual Hub for an entire 13 hours straight several days a week since last year and mine is still performing with no problems. i just ramp up the fans with smcfancontrol (just as a habit while encoding) and let it go. Mine reaches 90-95 degrees celsius when converting using the H.264 setting.

Long story short, I think yours will be fine if it doesn't have any hidden issues already present :cool:

As a side note, does anyone know what factors determine the speed of conversions like this? Just trying to decide between a 2.8 MBP and the 2.4 MB.

3. maclover001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maclover001

4. yabai macrumors member

I actually used a Merom-processored Black Macbook (the model before Santa Rosa) to do Visual Hub for a week. It used the same processor as the Santa Rosa model and only went up to 80-84 degrees in no air conditioning. Yeah, it should do fine.