Will current economic situation affect UK prices?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Axegrinder, Jan 8, 2009.

  1. Axegrinder macrumors regular


    Jun 1, 2006
    I'm thinking of purchasing a new 2.4 MacBook but wondering whether I should hold off until the next update for the speed bump and the little issues that people have reported being ironed out.

    However, I have a feeling that due to the recent fall of the pound against the dollar, we might see prices increase substantially over here in the UK when the new machines ship which will probably put them out of my range.

    Anyone think this is likely to happen?
  2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Feb 17, 2008
    The prices have already increased substantially.

    The $1299 white Macbook was £829, the $1299 Aluminium Macbook is £949.

    Unless the exchange rate gets even lower then I think you're fine.

    If you're planning on buying an iMac however, then expect at least £100 increase.
  3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030


    Dec 26, 2008
    North Korea
    Yeah he's right they have already increased, but actually they were lower than US prices before and now theyre inline. The pounds going to start getting stronger in about 2 months and within 6-7 months it will be back to normal so if you want to wait you can but i wouldnt wait 6 months for a computer.
  4. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

    Apr 27, 2008
    There was an item on this online somewhere and I can't for the life of me remember where. Even when you take into account the highest Sales Tax on top of American prices (Apparently the Apple Store posts everything online minus Sales Tax), the fluctuations in the stock market and the recent drop in the UK VAT from 17.5 to 15%, Apple customers in Britain still pay between 5 and 12% more than American customers.

    I just feel sorry for people in Australia... their gap is 7 to 13% more than America.

    I think next time I buy a Mac I may do it whilst on holiday in Alaska where the Sales Tax is the lowest in America. A 12% saving is worth it, and I have always wanted to go to Alaska! :D
  5. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502


    Jun 2, 2008
    Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire, UK
    I got my white MacBook refurb for £519 a few days after the new aluminium models came out. The same refurb models are now £599. Whether or not all refurbs are made equal I am not sure, but it seems things tend to go up not down...
  6. samwise macrumors regular

    Apr 17, 2005
    North Salt Lake, Utah
    MacBook 2.0 = £929 including VAT = £807.82 before VAT

    £807.82 at current exchange rate = $1230.63 (@1.52339 from XE.com)
    £807.82 at current tourist sell rate = $1185 (@1.4669 for cash from the Post Office website)

    If you include the VAT, then the two conversions are $1415 and $1362 respectively, but obviously not properly comparable as the UK price includes sales tax.

    If you want to buy in the US, you don't have to go to Alaska for zero sales tax, you can also go to Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire or Oregon - all four states don't have a sales tax.
  7. finnschi macrumors 6502

    Dec 30, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany

    Or just get it without ANY sales tax... get a eurpoean Tax nr, and order it from eg. spain, you Pay 0 taxes, for USA, there are states with NO sales tax and also if you order the amcbook from Newegg.com you DON't have to pay sales tax! :D

Share This Page