iPad Pro Will current iPad apps work on the pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mattoligy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mattoligy macrumors 6502

mattoligy

So not really seen much about this so I'm very curious as to what the deal is going to be with apps and scaling on the iPad Pro... Will they all just scale up to the larger screen size much like they do between the regular sized iPad and the iPad mini? Personally I would love to see apps with reworked wireframes that include more on any one screen at the same scale as the regular iPad. This would bridge the gap between desktop and mobile apps even more and give the iPad pro more, well, pro apps... But I worry developers won't bother and will just keep the same layout and let the pro scale it all up.

If there are any devs out there that can enlighten us, please do. Will apps need updating to even be able to scale up or will they just scale automatically? And if developers do decide to rework their apps for the larger screen, what will happen when said app is multitasked? I'm confused... How's it all going to work?

On a side note I noticed from videos of the new pro that Apple have just up scaled the home screen elements such as the icons and the dock etc, but couldn't work out if the same is done with UI elements such as the status bar and buttons etc. Will Notification Center and Control Center Just be bigger, or is there going to be more dead space around regular sized UI elements such as buttons and sliders...

Long story short, I'm just worried the pro will end up a "bigger iPad" rather than make good use of the extra space...

2. pdoherty macrumors member

I'm interested to know this as well. Does anyone know what the existing library of iPad apps will do and look like when used on a Pro?

3. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

I've seen quite some videos and reviews. Just like with apps that haven't been updated for the iPhone 6 (Plus), they're being upscaled. So everything will look bigger. Built-in stuff like Control Center and Notification Center aren't. They just show more space. :p

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

It's annoying to have non-optimized apps. I hate seeing the "blown up" look for apps on my 6 Plus. It'll be interesting to see what apps are like on the Pro. I have to wait another 5 hours until I'm off work to pick it up. Excited!

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I have mine, non-updated apps look blurry and use the smaller iPad's keyboard. Essentially they look like iPhone apps did on the original iPad.

But a lot of apps are already updated, anything using size classes/auto-layout already works and doesn't need to be updated.

6. pdoherty macrumors member

Thanks for the info - I'm out on this iPad until the apps issue is resolved or almost all apps are using the screen properly.