Will current iPhone owners be able to buy the new iPhone at discount?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by busterbluth, Apr 12, 2009.

1. busterbluth macrumors 6502

When the 3G came out, current iPhone owners were able to upgrade for the contract price of 199/299. Any idea if that was a one time deal, or if that is going to be their policy. I know we will have to wait to find out for sure, but I don't remember what the circumstances were when the 3G came out.

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yes. 100% absolutely no-two-ways about it; yes.

3. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

The circumstances might be different this time b/c the original iPhone was not subsidized but the 3G was.

4. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Really? 100% absolutely? :rolleyes:

AT&T will have to make an exception that they've never made for any phone before.
    They may very well let us upgrade at a discounted price, I hope so and it would make sense since a lot of people with iPhones will want the new one, but it would go against everything AT&T has been doing for so long.
    We can *hope* that they will let us upgrade for a discount but I wouldn't count on it seeing as AT&T paid for $400 of your current iPhone, and in return you commit to them for two years of service (without another discounted phone of course)

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

How, then, do you explain that current AT&T customers who were not eligible for an upgrade were not offered subsidized pricing when the 3G was released?

6. britboyj macrumors 6502a

I should bloody well hope so.

Even if they give you an "iPhone to iPhone" upgrade which isn't quite as much as the "new customer/qualified" upgrade, I'll buy one, depending on how different it is.

7. thomas419924 macrumors newbie

:D i would still buy it as a must have latest gadget but if im not impressed when its launched im off to blackberry:rolleyes:

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You may want to re-read your statement - You just said they weren't eligible and were not offered subsidized pricing. That is correct!

If you meant to say were offered the subsidized pricing, I've yet to see proof that anyone without the original iPhone was allowed to upgrade to the 3G at the subsidized price outside of their upgrade window.

9. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Tell them to shut up and buy an iPhone. :D

I'm sure if you hold one of the AT&T employees hostage they'll let you get a new iPhone at a subsidized price.

Seriously, it's anyone's guess. We won't know until it's announced.

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yikes .... I was joking guys. :rolleyes:

The 3G is a regular subsidized cell phone, like any other subsidized cell phone. Your carrier pre-paid for the majority of the cost of the hardware, in return for a multi-year contract from you.

This has been beat to death, I'm surprised there's still any doubt.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Oh gosh, I thought you were. Your sentence defied all sane knowledge and logic. Too bad you probably made some people very excited.