Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NovoCrangor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
I've been using my iPhone SE for the past 3 years and it's time for an upgrade.

I'm eyeing the iPhone XS (5.8). But I'm wondering if it will be discontinued the same way the X was?
I wasn't paying attention at the time, but was the X removed immediately after the XS announcement, or could it still be bought on Apple's site for a couple days/weeks?

I'm weighing the risk of ordering the current XS now (because I don't want/need the 2019 3 camera bump), or waiting to see if it will still be orderable from Apple after the Sept 10th announcement, perhaps with a $100 price drop?

I don't know how likely it will be that Apple keeps the current XS alongside the so-called "2019 Pro/iPhone 11" model, since they are going to be more similar than different. Plus, it seems the next XR will inherit some key current XS features (4x4 MIMO)...making even less reason for Apple to keep the current XS around once the 2019s are announced.
And no, I don't want to wait for the magical 2020 unicorn model.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The X was immediately removed from the Apple website although you could still purchase it from some Apple Stores before they returned the stock. Carriers continue to carry the X.

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
Difficult to say. Apple usually discounts the old phones and sells the new one for the same price but when the XS went on sale Apple pulled the X. Later they brought them back.

Now that the X/XS/XR series are Apple's "mainstream" devices, perhaps they'll continue doing what they used to do: price the new phones the same as the previous phones and discount the year old phones.

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2015
I am super happy with the current 1-camera XR. Yes, I DID get it because I did not want a zoom lens. Not saying you should do the same, but if you don't want a 3-camera bump, buy now :)

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
There will still be thousands of 3rd party stores happy to sell u an XS. No need to buy from Apple

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Apple may discontinue it but carriers will stock it for quite some time until the stock has gone. Carriers are still stocking the iPhone X now, 11 months after it was discontinued so that should give you an indication.

Reactions: mebehere

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I've been using my iPhone SE for the past 3 years and it's time for an upgrade.

I'm eyeing the iPhone XS (5.8). But I'm wondering if it will be discontinued the same way the X was?
I wasn't paying attention at the time, but was the X removed immediately after the XS announcement, or could it still be bought on Apple's site for a couple days/weeks?

I'm weighing the risk of ordering the current XS now (because I don't want/need the 2019 3 camera bump), or waiting to see if it will still be orderable from Apple after the Sept 10th announcement, perhaps with a $100 price drop?

I don't know how likely it will be that Apple keeps the current XS alongside the so-called "2019 Pro/iPhone 11" model, since they are going to be more similar than different. Plus, it seems the next XR will inherit some key current XS features (4x4 MIMO)...making even less reason for Apple to keep the current XS around once the 2019s are announced.
And no, I don't want to wait for the magical 2020 unicorn model.

I’d say buy a XS now. Who cares if they discontinue it even tomorrow. The XS is still a awesome phone, and will still be a very expensive/premium device even years from now.

I just upgraded my SE too. I bought a new black iPhone 7 128GB that’ll be here Friday.

The coolest thing about Apple is how useful their phones continue to be even years after being dropped.

I say go for it!

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
Buy the Xs direct from Apple ten days before the the new model is announced (likely 9/10). You’ll still have four days to return the Xs afterwards for a full refund if you want the newer models. It’s a win win scenario.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Buy the Xs direct from Apple ten days before the the new model is announced (likely 9/10). You’ll still have four days to return the Xs afterwards for a full refund if you want the newer models. It’s a win win scenario.
Ehhh no because it will be priced at least $100 less after announcement

Reactions: DevinNj

NovoCrangor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019

I'm thinking about doing exactly that. Maybe order it Sept. 1 or 2, and just leave it in the box until the 10th. Then open or return it.

Ehhh no because it will be priced at least $100 less after announcement

Unless it's immediately discontinued. And if it's not. Then I can just return it and buy it again for $100 less.

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
I'm thinking about doing exactly that. Maybe order it Sept. 1 or 2, and just leave it in the box until the 10th. Then open or return it.

Unless it's immediately discontinued. And if it's not. Then I can just return it and buy it again for $100 less.

There is no open box fee. Apple refunds you in full whether you open it or not.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Don't see the point in getting a XS now when the only difference with the new phone is a slightly wider camera bump. Even if you don't use the third camera, you are getting the same style phone with faster internals for the same price. No Apple will not reduce the XS by $100, they will simply discontinue it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You’ll still be able to find the XS even Apple removes it. I mean, it’s not like it completely disappears or something of that nature. Whoever your local carrier is, check with them, they will have stock that they will liquidate for a limited amount of time.

Infinite Vortex

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2015
I would wait as I think Apple has put themselves into somewhat of a bind here. If you look at it, the thinking is to bump down the older models a price point. I'm not sure they're inclined to keep the iPhone 7 (and also the iPhone 8 for that matter) around just so they can remove last year's models from the lineup. The question is what they keep from last years as quite possibly it'll be only the Xr.

Don't forget that there will be plenty of Apple resellers with stock that will wish to get get rid of their stocks of anything removed from the lineup. I'm still seeing the iPhone 6s and X on sale at places at varying "discounts". I'm not seeing the value of buying a full priced Xs today.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Apple may discontinue it but carriers will stock it for quite some time until the stock has gone. Carriers are still stocking the iPhone X now, 11 months after it was discontinued so that should give you an indication.
It surprised me that when I was looking here in the UK recently the X was still widely available, but not at any great discount - in some cases it was priced almost identically to XS. I went with the XR in the end which seemed much better value.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

This!

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
Just to throw a spanner in the works. Ordered an xs max today for the wife. Figured it'll be "legit" for at least 2 years of her usage before she upgrades again. Btw, she's a born again iOS person. Meaning, her last device was an iphone 6s back when it came out.

Reactions: Wide opeN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.