Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcloud8

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
will we need a different jailbreak or will the current jailbreaks work come feb 11th?

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

We'll have to wait and see. No way of telling now

Cphaggar

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Why would you want to unlock a CDMA phone? It's not like you could take it overseas and pop an orange sim card into it, and use it world wide. If you were going to fork out the cash for a device, personally, I'd get the one that was the most flexible after being unlocked.

Last edited:

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Why would you want to jailbreak a CDMA phone? It's not like you could take it overseas and pop an orange sim card into it, and use it world wide. If you were going to fork out the cash for a device, personally, I'd get the one that was the most flexible after being unlocked.

LOL get a clue buddy before you trash someone else post, Jailbreaking is NOT the same an Unlocking.

Jailbraking will allow the Verizon iPhnoe to run Themes, MyWI, and Application not accepted on the AppStore

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
LOL get a clue buddy before you trash someone else post, Jailbreaking is NOT the same an Unlocking.

Jailbraking will allow the Verizon iPhnoe to run Themes, MyWI, and Application not accepted on the AppStore

some people get so wrapped up with unlocking they thinks its the only reason to jailbreak

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Why would you want to jailbreak a CDMA phone? It's not like you could take it overseas and pop an orange sim card into it, and use it world wide. If you were going to fork out the cash for a device, personally, I'd get the one that was the most flexible after being unlocked.

Lol :D
Wow.
You think the only reason to JB an iphone is to unlock it?
There's thousands of packages, tweaks and many others things you can do to a JB iphone that you will never be able to do on stock software.

Last edited:

Cphaggar

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Lol, beware of nerd rage on this forum, you guys are hilarious. Go jail brake your phones, I'm still correct. If you're going to unlock a phone, you might as well get the phone that will allow you the most flexibility, and when you consider how you can aquire all the same apps on a unlocked CDMA or gsm phone, you should get the gsm phone, so you can use it overseas and other places with more options to you.

You guys can say what you want, but I was just trying to explain that you're more limited on a CDMA network when it comes to worldwide usage.

You guys will jump on any opportunity to nerd rage all over this forum.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Offcourse you're more limited on a CDMA device but saying that is pointless to JB a CDMA device is a big difference.
People JB/root their devices all the time wether thats iOS, Android, webOS etc...
The capabilities are endless when yoy have full controll over your phone and not locked in the way the manufacturer or carrier wants you to use it.

You guys can saw what you want, but I was just trying to explain that you're more limited on a CDMA network when it comes to worldwide usage.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Lol, beware of nerd rage on this forum, you guys are hilarious. Go jail brake your phones, I'm still correct. If you're going to unlock a phone, you might as well get the phone that will allow you the most flexibility, and when you consider how you can aquire all the same apps on a unlocked CDMA or gsm phone, you should get the gsm phone, so you can use it overseas and other places with more options to you.

You guys can say what you want, but I was just trying to explain that you're more limited on a CDMA network when it comes to worldwide usage.

You seen to be trying to be using the word "nerd" as insult, I am very proud to be one. To start.

Second, I don't disagree with you, GSM option is better IMO, however that is NOT what you said on your original Post, and that is NOT a argument for the Phone itself but for the network.

You said "Why would you want to jailbreak a CDMA phone?"...And there are infinite amount of reason why to Jailbreak that device that have nothing to do with what netowork it uses.

So no sir, you are NOT correct. ;)

Cphaggar

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
You took my quote out of context, look that word up when you get a chance, what I said was that it's better to take a gsm phone so you can use it with more flexibility.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
You took my quote out of context, look that word up when you get a chance, what I said was that it's better to take a gsm phone so you can use it with more flexibility.

replace the word jailbreak with unlock in your original post and your 100% correct but you obviously think those 2 words are the same

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You're the one who implied jb was unlocking, as though unlocking was the only function that jb could perform.
JB gives you the option to unlock, but that's not the only option that jb can offer.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
There is 'non-tethering' jailbreak for the mosts current iOS and baseband?!

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010

You don't seem to understand the very, very simple fact that jailbreaking and unlocking are two very different things (although one depends on the other).

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm thinking not because the Verizon iphone has a newer firmware version than the att version. maybe it'll only take a week to jailbreak, who knows. or maybe a verizon employee is one of the devs so will be able to jailbreak it 3 weeks before the general public gets it. maybe when the verizon version comes out, there will be a general update for both, who knows???

only time will tell

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
I think the most important question is:

Did Apple closed the hardware exploit found by GeoHot that makes possible the current jailbreak and making it jailbreakable for life in the Verizon iPhone?

Does the Verizon iPhone needs the shatter exploit in order to be jailbreakable?

Jcloud8

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Jailbreaking a GSM or a CDMA phone will have the same results.

Im not 100% on this but i think there is only an untethered jailbreak right now for ios 4.2, i want to say the Verizon Iphone is running 4.2.5. Will the current jailbreak for 4.2.1 work with 4.2.5. Or is there no way to tell until its released?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Im not 100% on this but i think there is only an untethered jailbreak right now for ios 4.2, i want to say the Verizon Iphone is running 4.2.5. Will the current jailbreak for 4.2.1 work with 4.2.5. Or is there no way to tell until its released?

4.2.5 doesn't exits anywhere else but in those VRZ demo/Prototypes units (as right now) unless someone can get their hands on one of those, there is not way to tell. In any case, 4.3 should be on all phones just a couple of weeks after CDMA iPhones release so IMO the focus should be there.

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
you got it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.