Will developer receive Retail release as update to GM?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by KKramer, Jul 19, 2011.

1. KKramer, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

KKramer macrumors member

KKramer

In case build number on Retail is different from GM.. As a developer, after Lion released in App Store will I receive Retail version to download?
    Or I will still only have same old GM available to me? And to get Retail version of Lion I will need to pay?

With past releases (Leopard/Snow Leo) did you receive any update after GM?

2. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

Considering Apple hasn't released an updated GM, it's safe to assume GM = retail. Unless Apple changes how updates will be done, GM receives any point updates released.

3. superericla macrumors 6502

The GM (typically) is the exact same as retail so there would be no need to "update" to the retail version as it is likely the exact same.

4. KKramer thread starter macrumors member

KKramer

I am asking in case build number on Retail is different from GM

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Developers can always download the latest version from Apple's site, so yes. But it'll be the same.

6. rw3 macrumors 6502a

rw3

The build number will probably not be the same. With earlier releases of an OS, they had to stick to the GM because they had to send it off to be pressed to DVDs. This time around, all they have to do is update the file on the server and you have an updated install from the GM....I will let you know later if this is true.

7. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

More than likely it'll be the same as the GM. (Hoping so, I don't want to do another clean install!). There were no show-stopping bugs or anything to fix. But, Apple has surprised us before (knock on wood).

8. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

The GM is the build that will appear on the Mac App Store tomorrow. Absolutely no doubt now. Another build would require another 2-3 weeks for developers to test their apps and resubmit them to App Store.

But just for the sake of argument it were: the developer membership lasts a year and includes all builds, including builds of the 10.x.x point updates. If Apple started seeding 10.8, developers would get that too as long as they remain paying members.

9. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

i installed the GM version for leopard and snow leopard when they came out and the version numbers have always been the same. It's software updates after that to address issues.

10. Ragnar-Kon macrumors member

Eh, I would say the build number probably will be the same. As long as I have been a Mac developer (since Puma), the build on the golden master has always been the build that was sold in stores.

However, you do have a point, since they no longer have to worry about manufacturing disks, it is possible that it could be a different build number. But since I have not received any Lion build updates since the GM at the beginning of the month, it would have to be a VERY minor update, as Apple usually releases each build to developers first to allow us test our programs.

I personally am actually hoping for a new build. Not being able to right click using two fingers on my Macbook Pro is driving me up the wall :mad:.

11. ChuckieD macrumors newbie

I'm able to right click using two fingers on the trackpad of my MBP right now as we speak on Lion GM. Unless your referring to something else.

12. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

No, they had to stick to the GM because developers need time to test their apps. And actually the Mac App Store makes that even more necessary since Apple obviously won't want non-working apps in their store (whereas before if a developer's app was broken, Apple had little to no stake in that).