Will developers be annoyed at 2.0 costing $10?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by EssentialParado, Jul 21, 2008.

1. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I know a lot of people are happy to pay that $10 for the privilege to buy apps from iTunes, but I'm one of those who are refusing until it's given free. I wouldn't have paid to 'unlock' the ability to buy songs when the iTunes Music Store released, and so I won't pay for this on the touch.

Obviously there are gonna be a few hundred thousand out there who won't be updating to 2.0 (either because they don't care to pay, or simply don't know of the advantages) — So I'm wondering if any developers are showing any protest to Apple. By charging for the 2.0 update on iPod touch, Apple have effectively cut out a massive chunk of the market that developers could be selling to.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I know, apple, just give it for free, the ipt owners always get the shaft on software updates :mad:

3. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

my guess is not, becouse they get 70% of the cut. if you want it fo free, get it off the XML, or a torrent, thats free and it works

4. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

Get it off the XML? I don't understand that.

Don't you need to hack/jailbreak the ipod to install 2.0 for free?

5. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

no. the xml is the straight download link from apple, no DRM involved

6. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Some do consider that stealing, though, if you're concerned with that.

7. illidian macrumors 6502

Because it is.

Arguing against paying for 2.0 is silly. Do you also refuse to pay for Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard because Apple owes you that functionality after you bought an earlier version of OS X?

It's not just the opportunity to download and install applications from the App Store. It's a whole new version of the OS with a solid feature set in and of itself.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Considering the size of the App Store's existing market (how many millions of iPhones already sold, the crowds of people still waiting to get an iPhone, the legacy iPod touch owners that did upgrade, and that iPod touches going forward will come with the App store pre-installed), the number of legacy iPod touch owners that don't upgrade for whatever reason doesn't really seem like getting upset about. IMO.

As someone else already pointed out, there's a lot more to the 2.0 upgrade than just the App Store.

On top of that, there are a lot of great free apps in the App Store.

9. EssentialParado thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, I refuse to believe you're getting any additional functionality. What are you really paying for as an iPod touch owner? Enterprise support, push services, better email — all great features for iPhone users, but not much worth it for iPod touch users, is it? The ability to buy games IS a big deal though, but we shouldn't have to pay for the ability to buy software off the iTunes store, just like we don't have to pay for the privilege to buy songs from iTunes.

And haven't iPod Touches sold considerably more than iPhones to date?

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

2.0 will never be free, apple will not be shiping with 2.0 preloaded, hence 1.1.5, it is going to be the upgraded version.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I would have paid $10 just for the new Japanese and Chinese input functions. But yeah, for those who have no use for the various foreign language keyboard / inputs, I agree there's no significant additional functionality apart from the App Store.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd be very surprised if the fall refresh of iPods don't include touches with 2.0 pre-installed.

I also wonder if part of this "millions of dollars" that Apple's saying they're expecting to take a hit on in the next quarter is them starting to book new iPod touch sales like they do the iPhone (on a subscription basis, only booking 1/24th of the purchase price monthly) so that they can do free updates for the refreshed models.

Hey, were you working for Apple back when they originally launched the touch? I think that's what Apple thought too .. "why would the touch need mail, etc ... that feature is great for the iPhone, but not an iPod".

Well, you saw the public outcry to that line of thinking. Four months later, Apple releases a touch update that adds email.

So, yeah, I think it's fair to say that to some touch owners, the enhanced mail features (bulk deleting/moving to folders, push with their .Mac (now MobileMe), etc) do add some value.

You can make that point until you're blue in your face, but that doesn't change the accounting rules that Apple has to abide by for making the decision to not treat the touch's sales in the same way that they did the iPhone and AppleTV. If you don't understand the situation, google around. It's been explained a few times.

Dunno. Never seen where Apple breaks down the iPods sold into models. Have you?

13. macfan881 macrumors 68020

actaully if you look at the ipod touch section they advertise all the ipod touches with the app store so yea it probally has 2.0 shiping or starting to soon

14. Nichod macrumors regular

A better idea would be for Apple to simply offer a upgrade path that includes the App store, but not the other "2.0" features. But its worth noting that other behind the curtain updates may have occurred to optimize/prepare the Ipod Touch to better run the applications now available.

Though I do think complaining over $10 is being really picky. I'm a poor college student and I'd have no problem with paying that.

15. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I don't agree with your argument: that you wouldn't pay for itunes because you buy music off of it, so why buy the update.
    There are a lot of free apps available so I think that makes it worth it. With all the apps that I have, I've paid for maybe 1 or 2 of them. The rest were free, and those are just for entertainment purposes (games etc.) Plus I've used the calculator a whole lot more now, I enjoy the new functions.

16. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

we will see.

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

They don't advertise them as coming with 2,0. They advertise them as follows: