Will Diablo III Run On An MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kaizer85, May 16, 2012.

1. kaizer85 macrumors member

Might pick it up but question is will it run on a 2011 11' mba 64gb?

and im guessing i would need to get the super drive as well?

2. yinz macrumors 6502a

From my research, the answer is not well. Even at the lowest settings, there is report of choppiness but that might not apply to all the machines. No one posted anything about their 13", so maybe...

I think you can just download the softcopy off of battle.net. Also, if you have another computer at home, I'm pretty sure the MacBook air can use their optical bay, so I don't see why youd need to buy a super drive....

3. theahnman macrumors member

I have a 2010 11" Rev. A MBA.
    It's working fine.
    20 fps is still playable.
    Textures are at low.
    Shadow detail is at medium.
    Physics are at low.
    AA is turned off.
    Granted it's not as beautiful as it could be, but it's playable.

4. kaizer85 thread starter macrumors member

So i can just purchase the game online and install onto my mba with no problems?

Also instead of downloading it to my mba ssd can't i just download it to my external hard drive?

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Beta - Everything on low, works OK.
    Release - Everything on high, no shadows, no AA, works better than beta on all low settings.

6. bnorthro macrumors member

That's very promising, I've seen TONS of reports to the contrary. Which model MBA do you have? I've seen that people were getting much better performance during the beta on builds prior to build 16, then after that frame rates dropped to like 5-10fps.

I have a loaded 2011 MBA 13" and tried the beta during the open weekend a few weeks back and got maybe 10fps with all the settings turned down. It was terrible.

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I have the same and got 20-30 during beta. I didn't play much yet on live but if I have time tonight I will place through a bit more and report back.

I only get to play games maybe once a week. :mad:

8. bnorthro macrumors member

Thanks, I'm in pretty much the same boat re:gaming time, ha.

9. bnorthro macrumors member

I was able to get a guest pass and load it up on my 2011 MBA 13" (i7, 4gb). The default settings @ full screen 800x600 (default resolution) yielded about 20fps outside of town. The font is unreadable and the game looks absolutely terrible at this resolution. I bumped it up to the 1440x900 and the game looked great, but was getting about 12fps with no enemies on screen. I'm running OSX 10.7.4, I had no other programs running and I restarted the computer before starting up Diablo.

I would say that the game is not enjoyable in the present state...

10. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

I turned settings down on the MBA in my sig, but didn't really need to, it plays well.

Loving it by the way, is so much fun, been ages since I played a game this fun... that wasn't minecraft...

11. njean777 macrumors 6502

Plays at a steady 30fps and above with everything low and shadows turned off on my MBA 11in 1.6 i5, 4gb of ram. I mainly play it on my gaming pc, but it works fine on my macbook also. It is more then playable.

12. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

One the lowest settings yes.
    If you want to play in high settings, get like iMac, Mac Pro, Hackintosh, build a gaming PC, or just buy a console.

13. linh1987 macrumors newbie

Yep, D3 on console.... :p

btw my Air 2010 1.6Ghz run D3 fine with lowest settings. It gets a little hot though but that's expected.

14. Astrofox macrumors member

I played all the way through the open beta at medium detail, low resolution on my 1.8 i7 2011 and it ran fine (20-30)... interesting that some say the final release works better, I may pick it up at some stage.

15. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It's really quite slow on my i7 11" Air, even at lowest settings. :(

16. scarred macrumors 6502a

What graphic detail level do you play with on your gaming PC? Is it jarring when you switch and play at low detail on the macbook air?

17. njean777 macrumors 6502

I play with everything on highest with my gaming pc as it has a radeon 6870. But I really am not a graphics whore at all, so to your question it isn't that jarring for me. I usually play everything on my ps3 regardless if the game looks better on pc or not. I am not that keen with KB/M and like controller better, but I like diablo a lot so I am going to play it even if I have to suffer with KB/M. I wish they would add controller support, but I doubt that will ever happen :(.

18. Fandongo macrumors 6502

Haha, i need to upgrade from my 09 MBP to an Air.
    Low FX checked, and all the settings off/low.
    Worked great in beta, Act two runs at 10fps.

Edit: If these A-holes released the Ivys when they should have...

19. bnorthro macrumors member

So I think I've changed my mind, I played for about an hour this morning and was getting framerates from 20-25 (30 in small dungeons/houses), definitely not too bad. The key was turning off Anti-Aliasing. This just about doubled my framerate and made everything much smoother. The fans were on full blast the entire time though...

For reference, I'm on a 2011 13", i7, 4GB, 256GB. I played around with various video settings and settled on High, Off, High, Low, AA off, Low FX off (didn't seem to make much of a difference either way) and the 1440 resolution. Game plays pretty well, shadows seem to slow it down a bit, the texture high/low didn't seem to change much.

I managed to score a Guest key, and I'll probably upgrade to the full version...especially if there is a chance they can update it to run even better.

20. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I'd suggest installing Windows and running Diablo there. I was running Diablo on my Air for a few days and it was pretty bad. In bootcamp it runs smooth as silk at full res, just have to turn shadows off, everything else high.

Was also running it on my 30 inch monitor at 1600x900 and runs great. Any higher res and it gets a little choppy.

21. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I get 20-30fps on my 2011 13" i7 256GB Air. All settings on max except shadows off. Yes, AA is on. Average is 22fps. To me, this is very playable.

22. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I have the 2011 MBA 13" 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB ram.

I get an average of 20 fps with all settings on low, particles/shadows off, at 1440x900. It's playable which is all I care about. :)

23. NDefer macrumors member

no it will not work

To those saying they get 20 fps, that is not really playable. For one, 20fps is pretty bad, and if you played at 60 you would notice a huge difference. Not to mention that is probably 20 FPS while running around in town and what not, at points in the game (nightmare/hell/inferno) where there are 20x more mobs, spell effects all over, the fps will drop down to unplayable rates.

All depends on your idea of playable I suppose, but don't expect to be able to progress in inferno where dodging AOE/spell effects is the most important aspect of survival and your fps dips below 10.

24. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

^^^ I can definitely see that. From my experience the game was always playable on my MBA but I am in normal mode and only played with two others at most at a time. I do remember a time or two when we were all wizards and there was a lot of combat on screen, game did chug a tiny bit and was unplayable a time or two but that usually ended quickly.

I typically play the game on my Windows desktop so I know what the game is like at 1920x1080, everything maxed and getting 90 fps. :D

25. scarred macrumors 6502a

Actually, diablo III plays very well on an MBA. I have a gaming desktop and also the MBA (core i5). Settings are dialled down, but honestly can't tell that much of a difference vs. the two. It works every well on the MBA. Yes, FPS is low, but it doesn't seem to matter for this type of game. At least it doesn't bother me (and in other games, the FPS being low really bugs me).