Will disk utility partitioning erase whats on my harddrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chriscordell, Dec 19, 2010.

1. chriscordell macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I have a hard drive with about 250 gb of film and music on fbut it's formatted as HFS+ which windows cant read!

I need to partition the drive to make windows be able to read at least a portion of it. But If I run disk utility and create a partition will it erase the info I already have on there?

I don't have this data else where so I hope it wont!

Thanks in advance :)

Chris

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. chriscordell thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys, yeah I need to write to it as well and transfer the files from windows computers that aren't mine. So I think I'm gonna need to back up the info else where and reformat me thinks :(

Thanks anyways!

Chris

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I have a hard drive with about 250 gb of film and music on fbut it's formatted as HFS+ which windows cant read!
    I need to partition the drive to make windows be able to read at least a portion of it. But If I run disk utility and create a partition will it erase the info I already have on there?"

Take my advice for the value of what you paid for it, but here's what I think.

If the data on the drive you have NOW is important to you, do not trust it to any drive that is "dual-formatted" or is formatted in a Windows-compatible format.

Leave that data on the Mac-format-only (HFS+) drive, and get ANOTHER drive that is formatted for use with both the Mac and PC.

I've seen a number of posts from folks who had dual-partitioned drives, and one day (usually while hooked up to a PC) the Mac partitions on their drives just went.... POOF!

It's not worth the trouble. Drives are cheap.

Keep the important stuff on a Mac-only drive.

Keep whatever else you want on the dual-platform drive.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just a reminder, before doing anything involving partitioning of your HDD, I would suggest that make sure you have a good back up. :)

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And to echo what Fishrrman said. Drives are cheap. A 500 GB external USB 2.0 drive can be had for ~US$60.

Leaving the data where it is and creating a new copy is the easiest form of backup.

B