Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 2.24.32 PM.png

I need to burn some Youtube vids to DVD for my dad, medical and exercise vids since he recently had an incident. He doesn't have internet. I was able to download several short Youtube videos, and dropped them into Toast 8 Titanium. However, Toast only seems to let me put it in the DivX Disc category; I can't select DVD-video, which is what I want, right? Would he still be able to see this on a DVD player? Thank you for any help.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Why would you even have Youtube videos as DivX?? 🤨
Transcode them and burn a regular DVD. Whether the player can run DivX discs only the player (i.e. the manual) will/can know. Not anyone that doesn't even know so much as what make and model it is.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
You didn't read my post fully. As I said, I'm just trying to burn this for my dad for his health. I don't want nor did I choose DivX, as I mentioned, for some reason Toast is only allowing the DivX choice, it won't let me select DVD Video, even though that appears to be a choice I could scroll to.

I am hoping there is a way to burn these videos as a DVD video, within Toast. That's my intention.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The DIVX Disc option is likely referring to a defunct format created for the video disc rental industry and the discs would only play on a dedicated DIVX video player (that could also play regular DVD video discs). So you will not want to use that format.

DVD Video uses H.262 MPEG-2 video and most YouTube videos will be in H.264 MPEG-4 or VP9, so you will need to convert the video so that it is compatible with DVD video discs. Toast might do this or you might need to use Handbrake or some other video conversion program.

Your best bet would probably be to look for an online guide on converting YouTube videos to DVD video.

Reactions: Christopher11

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
The DIVX Disc option is likely referring to a defunct format created for the video disc rental industry and the discs would only play on a dedicated DIVX video player (that could also play regular DVD video discs). So you will not want to use that format.

DVD Video uses H.262 MPEG-2 video and most YouTube videos will be in H.264 MPEG-4 or VP9, so you will need to convert the video so that it is compatible with DVD video discs. Toast might do this or you might need to use Handbrake or some other video conversion program.

Your best bet would probably be to look for an online guide on converting YouTube videos to DVD video.
Very helpful, thank you.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You can use the free Burn.

Be sure to choose "Video" along the top of the Burn window, and "DVD Video" from the popup on the right. Drop your video files onto the window. If you are told the files are incompatible and do you want to convert to MPEG, agree. Files need to be in mpeg for dvds.

Then click on "Burn".

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
I don't want nor did I choose DivX, as I mentioned, for some reason Toast is only allowing the DivX choice, it won't let me select DVD Video, even though that appears to be a choice I could scroll to.
Well, that a 15+ year-old version, so I have no idea what you might be doing wrong. Because I don't know of any reason—at least with the current version—why you shouldn't be able to burn any one of those formats available, assuming those are just regular Youtube clips i.e. H.264 Quicktimes. So I'd either update, watch Roxio's video on the subject or write their support.

Or use Handbrake to transcode them to MPEG-2 and try it with them, even though that in fact should not be necessary because Toast does the transcoding for you since it would be pretty silly if it didn't / couldn't.

So I guess your dad has neither a computer nor a smartphone? 🤨 Which would obviously make matters exponentially easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.