Will doing this cause a problem - Windows XP to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by siam, Jan 2, 2009.

1. siam macrumors regular

I have an iMac connected to the internet using a high speed wireless connection, and my daughter has a Netbook running Windows XP, I don't want to connect the Netbook directly to the internet using the wireless connection that the iMac has, but I wanted to install a Windows XP application on the Netbook, so I tried this, I downloaded the XP application to my iMac desktop , then transfered this un opened XP allocation to the Netbook via the iMac's Bluetooth option, the XP application I then opened on the Netbook and it installed OK, so my question is ... is doing the above in any way going to cause a problem to the iMac ?

Thanks

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I see no problem with this procedure, although it's a bit of a hassle. Alternative to using the bluetooth is using a USB flash drive or hard drive, if the netbook has a USB port.

3. Samuelllll macrumors newbie

Nooooo....

nope no problem at all.. the only thing that will happen is your iMac won't know what the windows XP file is! thats all :)

4. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, I know there's many comments about Mac's and Viruses Etc, which from what ive read there may be a problem on a Mac if you are running Windows XP / vista as well, would downloading and putting a Windows XP application that contains a security issue on to a Mac desktop , and then transferring it to an external computer possibly be a security risk for the Mac ?

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

No.

A virus is a program which needs to be run. The Mac is incapable of running Windows programs (at least, not without extra software) so it's unable to run the virus and be infected.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The virus has to be made for Mac to harm it. Since exe's aren't usable by Mac OS in any way then the worst thing that could happen is if the exe is infected then it will be transferred to the to whichever PC ends up using it. So there's no potential problem with what your doing in terms of harming your Mac.

Mac OS X is not virus proof by any means, it's just that there are literally a handful out there if not less that are out in the "wild".

7. siam thread starter macrumors regular

What about downloading a ( .rar ) file thats infected ?

Thanks

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Same thing. You can spread it to other PC's, and it would only be an issue if you somehow managed to come across one of few viruses for Mac. Generally what will happen with infected files on the Mac is that the file will appear corrupted or un-open-able as it is trying to execute some line of code that does not work on the OS.

9. siam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that , I learn some thing new every time I come here .

its much appreciated :)

10. dkhuynh macrumors member