Will early 3Gs adopters be eligible...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMJustAGuy, Jan 15, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Will early 3Gs adopters be eligible for and upgrade when the 4th gen comes out? I bought mine at launch and let's say the new one comes out in June. Will I have to pay full price (at least your thoughts on if I will) because I know how ATT (well, any cell provider) is picky about upgrade eligibility but if I am loyal and purchase every new revision I feel I should be rewarded... *sigh*

What do you think?

2. cmaier macrumors G3

You're not entitled to a full subsidy. I think AT&T will give at least a partial subsidy - they may give a full subsidy in exchange for a new 2 year contract. They've done that so far. Especially if they lose their exclusivity.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would imagine they follow very much the same process they did during the 3GS with regard to 3G customers.

As a 3G customer myself, I won't feel one bit of sympathy if they do hold users to their two year contracts; after all, you signed a contract.

The debate about whether AT&T should discount or entirely remove the ETF for iPhone users upgrading to the new model was had many of times last spring with little resolution. There are logical arguments on both sides as to why they should or shouldn't; but, the most logical to me is you signed a two-year contract. If Apple started abandoning their contracts – all hell would break lose.

The debate about your question proper will continue up until a certain keynote.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

WHo knows. I'll be eligible for a partial upgrade in February of this year, meaning I'll probably get it for $399/$499, but that could change. Last year, the uproar was so great that AT&T eventually gave into people who bought the 3G in July/August, so maybe they'll do the same this year. You wonder how much money AT&T is willing to lose. Perhaps they'll do it again to get exclusivity extended.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Like said above. Probably the same as last year.
    Not a full discount but an early upgrade price for a little
    more. This way they keep their iPhone customers on continuous contract renewals.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Holy crap... the other Wake Forest user on the board...

8. gibbz macrumors 68030

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It won't be "just like..."

I imagine they avoid the mess that was last year, they will just come out and give the users a discount...

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Try $200 more.

11. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

With all the backlash ATT has suffered in the last year I sincerely hope they do give discounts :mad: . I could see a lot of people just waiting out the contract and leaving them for someone else considering the absolute abysmal service they distribute. Adding to the fact they rank dead last in just about every category for service and the bashing from verizon . I know the iphone is the iphone but how long before the bending over stops for people just for a piece of technology

12. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

You know, I hate to come off sounding like a dick, but this is the way things have worked for quite a long time. Unless you buy a phone unsubsidized, you aren't going to get a discount.

However, that being said, in the long run the old business model of subsidies and 2 year contracts simply CAN NOT WORK.

Smartphones (or superphones, if you ask Google) are evolving at a rate akin to computers in the 90's. Phones are obsolete within 6 months, not 2 years, and while not everyone lives on the bleeding edge, judging by these forums you'd have to think a huge chunk of iPhone users (and probably smartphone users in general) are probably going to want to upgrade more often than every 2 years.

So, the only real options are for the carriers to do away with subsidies and sell the phones at a flat rate, but I don't see that happening soon.

13. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

At some point, I think it really should just go to us paying full prices for phones and having more reasonable service terms (leave at any time) and lower prices.

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Is there just 2 of us? We're an exclusive club.

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

It will be based on the user's upgrade eligibility. For instance I'm upgrade eligible 8 months after an upgrade. The joys of paying more per month and having a corporate FAN # attached to my account...

16. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

It was a mess last year. I still don't know how it worked. I'm on a family plan, bought a 3G the day it came out, and I still have to wait until March 12, 2010 to get my upgrade. I wasn't offered anything in regards to upgrading to the 3GS. On the plus side, I'm glad I wasn't because it wasn't worth it anyways.

17. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Return of 1 year contracts with smaller subsidies. At least for current customers upgrading.

18. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You'll be eligible 18 months after signing for full subsidy. Family plans and FAN accounts of $200+ will be eligible in 12 months. There will be a reduced price otherwise between unlocked and fully subsidized.

19. eplchamps0305 macrumors member

I dont know how I was allowed an early upgrade from 3g to 3gs. My monthly ATT bill was only $45 (no data plan).

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd assume more, but you are the only one I know about?

Hey, that's my birthday. Now this thread is just getting odd.

That would be nice.

21. labman macrumors 604

labman

I don't we wait!

and see what in store for us. (in other words nobody knows) :rolleyes: I am do in Nov 2010 so I am planing to wait till then. I already planing my Nov thread!

Should I buy 4G now or Wait for 5G! :p

or maybe like others I should just go a head and post it today!

22. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Well I think:

1) they will give in ad give everyone the upgrade (YAY) due to the economy and they will loose oodles of cash if they don't .

2) or they will just give a parshall discount.

3) or it will get to the point where every one leaves and gets a droid not that I would but I bet a lot of peolpe would.

4)the world will blow up frome all the upgrades at the saime time

23. cmaier macrumors G3

lose
    partial

i'll assume the rest were typos.

In particular, "loose" drives me nuts.

24. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. But I'm sure there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth when some 3Gs users can't get the fully subsidized prices.