Will Edge be any faster after the iphone release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Geffen, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Geffen macrumors 6502

Just wondered if Edge would be faster after July 11th when most people will be upgrading to the 3G iphone? since they'll be less people using it?

2. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

3. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

I don't see how it would get any faster than it is now.

4. elbirth macrumors 65816

I could see why you might think it'll be faster since it'll have less load, but it'll likely stay the same. It's not like the network has been totally saturated and bogged down by so many users. Plus, there will still be plenty of people on it with the iPhone 3G. For example, there is no 3G in my hometown, so I'll still be on Edge until I go out of town to a place with 3G.

5. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Theoretically, yes it is faster.

Will you notice it?

Probably not.

There's not enough people switching to make a noticeable difference.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Just because yo have a 3G phone does not necessarily mean that it's using 3G. 3G is not available in many areas, so those who have a 3G phone but have no 3G connection will be using EDGE.

7. firewood macrumors 604

If AT&T Wireless is building out their internal networking infrastructure to support the higher data rates to customers required by 3G, then Edge data may experience a bit less slowdowns during peak hour usage saturation periods. May or may not be noticeable.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

9. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I read a story recently saying that a software solution had been developed to theoretically double the speed of edge. Something about pushing data down two different cell towers when available. Not related to the 3G release, though.

10. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

11. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

EDGE will always stay EDGE and the iPhone will be capped at 1.4Mbps rather then the 1.7Mbps that 3G supports. AT&T is expanding their 3G coverage by an incredible amount. Even my little county I live in will be 3G August 30th. I love having access to Mapping tools for AT&T to find out this information.

For Florida alone this year AT&T is spending $220 Million alone.

12. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

They're not necessarily limiting the iPhone to 1.4mbits, they're just saying that's what current seeds are. Speeds could easily increase to 2 or 3mbits by next year as more capacity comes online.

Also, current 3G HSDPA speeds in the US (on AT&T) range anywhere from 3.6 to 7.2 supported maximum... with 1.4mbits being "real world" speeds. I myself have never seen my AT&T aircard exceed 1.3mbits anywhere in the U.S. The limitations are largely the physical data connections to the towers (the T1's).

13. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

14. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

No they stated that the iPhone will be capped at 1.4Mbps. And that it will be a minimum of 1.7Mbps where 3G is. All smartphones they stated would be capped at 1.4Mbps

15. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

Everyone is misinterpreting the press release AT&T put out here about data speeds on the iPhone. The network is currently limited to 1.4mbits, not the DEVICES. The idea that all current and future phones will always be limited to 1.4mbits is physically impossible since all 3G HSDPA chips support a minimum of 3.6mbits... and newer ones 7.2mbits; no firmware updates are required to make these devices faster. As AT&T increases data rates to its towers so will the real world data rates. Everyone seems to be conveniently leaving out this sentence in the same press release:

This is what I meant. I don't want to sound like a insider wanna-be here, but I used to work for AT&T Mobility and I have access to those with extensive knowledge of the network. This has been discussed with former colleagues at AT&T.

16. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816