will EFIX work on any motherboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thechidz, Oct 24, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

apparently not.

I bought a cheap gateway with a q6600 intel quad core processor just to see if it would really work and it doesnt.

I entered the BIOS and changed the boot directory to EFIX like the instructions say then saved and exited and restarted and it still just boots to winblows. oh well, it was worth a shot. I might pick up a cheap gigabyte mobo from newegg and see if I can do a little surgery.:rolleyes:

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no only the Gigabyte models listed here. very unlikely it will work an a Gateway OEM unless it has a mobo thats listed.

you could however check out the open source PC EFI v8 or Chameleon at forums.insanelymac.com they have guides on how to do it and you could give it a try. doesnt require a dongle just uses EFI emulation.

3. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
  4. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

5. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

yeah I knew that but wanted to try and see if it would work anyway. hacking is way above my pay grade I dont understand any of that insanely mac stuff :p

6. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

it seems some other mobo's with intel's p45 chipset seems to work. check the forums on their site to see. or of the regular users their had a msi mobo set up in his signature.

give us an update if things work out.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85