Will email work on GPRS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by needthephone, Sep 19, 2007.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

Would I be able to send /receive email when in a GPRS area? I don;t care how long it takes if it does it whilst it's in my pocket. Seems like if EDGE is only available in 30% of UK GPRS would be mostly used. I can do my browsing on wifi so no web access is OK for me but I would need email ALL the time.

2. iWizzard macrumors regular

No problem at all. Just make sure to disable the option to automatically dl atatchments (if there is an option like that)

3. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, apple O2 T mobile should use this as the main thrust of their marketing.

People NEED and have grown used to mobile email , they can live without the web on the road. With wifi they can have this too.

I have a 3g phone in OZ and never use the 3G services lke video and the web, its too expensive.

If this was announced in OZ I would be getting one for sure. Email all the time would be the clincher for me,

4. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

does anyone know if there is a setting for no dl of attachments? if so, does a button appear in an email saying "This email contains attachments, to view them click here" or something along those lines? That would be a great feature.

5. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looking at the o2 page I was trying to find out about email and GPRS.

They don't emphasise email at all which seems strange as that is why people buy Blackberrys isn't it?
    iphone can do email all the time (even without EDGE) so they should surely be telling people this. Its a major feature that is lost.

Just looking at that photo of that phone makes me want one-please bring it to OZ

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone?cm_sp=HP-_-Banner1-_-iphone1-hold

Hang on though...
    On apples UK site it says

How does iPhone send and receive email?

iPhone sends and receives email over Wi-Fi and EDGE wireless networks. (it doesn't say GPRS??)

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/questionsandanswers.html

Confused well I am..

6. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

EDGE is just a more advanced GPRS network and nothing more. ALL iPhone data features work PERFECTLY on a regular GPRS network just a little slower than EDGE. I guarantee this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_Data_Rates_for_GSM_Evolution

7. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

I am confused too especially when O2 mention the 30% EDGE Coverage. So would GPRS be available for the other 70% then?

It seems to me that they are saying that email/web access is only available for 30% of the population . Is this true?
    OR
    Is it really that Fast internet / email (well EDGE speed ) is available 30% and Slow internet/email can be used for the other 70%?

8. RealEvil macrumors 6502

GPRS is everywhere. 30% get semi-usable web browsing with Edge. 70% get unusable web browsing for anything over than WAP sites with GPRS. Bear in mind Edge coverage is very regional and localized - so you might get it at home or at work or at a friends house etc but not necessarily everywhere/anywhere you go.

So to summarise - you will always get GPRS (unless you live on a oil rig) and you might get lucky and get Edge.

Email is fine on GPRS though.