will "Erase All Content and Settings" on 4s require a computer or ios update?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by starstreak, Sep 22, 2012.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

I hae a JB iphone 4s. If I "Erase All Content and Settings" will I need to connect the iphone to a computer after it is done for it to be useable? Or will it still work but all my personal data be wiped?
    Also, will it force a update to ios6?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you do that you will have to preform a DFU restore to make it usable again.

3. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

So it will need to be plugged into a computer then? I'm trying to just erase all my songs and data from the phone so I can sell it. but I don't want to sync it with my computer being I already have my iphone 5 synced and having it messup my itunes.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually if you're on 5.0 and higher and try it on a jb iPhone it will just error out and won't erase anything.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I always forget it does that.

6. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

A JB phone won't erase data? ew crap. How so I delete the data then?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Manually:)
    Or try syncing with another library and uncheck all songs, apps etc trying to remove all contents. And whatever is left there by hand.

8. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so lets say I do that. So now its's sold. when the person sticks in his sim and plugs it into a computer, will it force him to upgrade to ios6? Or will it just let him use the phone how I left it?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Once he plugs it to his iTunes it will pop up a message saying there's a new firmware version 6.0 and if you want to update, download only or cancel.
    Just tell him to cancel and close that box and select that little box that says don't ask me again.
    It won't force him but if he doesn't think and just updates then its on him.

10. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help! At least I know my data will be safe this time. I found where on the phone to remove all my music. Only thing left for me to delete is the "photo library" which has two photos in it... at least its "generic" photos. Just can't firgure out how to remove them.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cant just click the little trash bin on the bottom right of the picture to delete?

12. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope. That "folder" won't delete and the picture in that one folder can't be removed.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's weird.
    See if it removes when you plug it to iTunes and uncheck that picture folder and sync.

14. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure it would. But I'm trying not to sync it to my itunes so I don't screw anything else up. At least at the moment, I know the 4s works just fine.

15. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Just plug it into iTunes, cancel the sync, and hit "Restore".

Then after you restore, when iTunes asks if you want to "restore from backup" or "set up as new phone", hit "set up as new phone".

The grey "iPhone" setup start screen will display on the iPhone, prompting the user to input their iCloud info, location data, etc. if they so desire.

p.s. syncing with your iTunes after you've already upgraded to another device won't "screw up anything" whatsoever.