Will EU Ruling mean iChat can finally have MSN support?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CavemanUK, Oct 22, 2007.

1. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

I was just reading this news on the UK BBC website that Microsoft are finally going to comply with a 2004 EU Ruling about allowing developers to have more insight into its software. It specificially mentions Windows (and im sure they mean Windows Server too)..

Here is the article .. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7056288.stm

i especially like this bit..

"In addition, it will also allow the data to go to open source software developers. Open source software allows users to read, alter and improve its code - in contrast to proprietary software where a company controls the source code."

This will hopefully mean Microsoft completely divulge the source/protocols for MSN and allow Apple (or another 3rd party like the Adium guys) to make a complete MSN implementation including Video and Voice etc...

Like i said though.. Hopefully!

What are your thoughts?....

2. Lorthirk macrumors member

I can't believe it's true... Surely Microsoft will find an escape, or we had a misunderstanding, or it will take toooooooo long to spread it's code...

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

Either they will appeal the decision and drag it out for years (like they have done before) or they will just plain delay it for years while claiming that they are working on a method to do that that would not compromise security. When one is a multi-billion company, it becomes chump change to do these things.

4. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

No guys, thats the point... The delaying has already been done.. the appeals have been done... now the EU is fining them so much per day until they agree so they have agreed to do it now.

PS.. We aren't talking about them giving out Windows source code for open source use.. Just Methods and Protocols for certain things.. A good example would be the Word Document format or the way Windows handles certain things... And i would expect you would have to register to gain access to it. Its something they do with the government(s) already.