Will everything that currently works with TouchID then work with FaceID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrMister111, Sep 15, 2017.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68020

Will all apps, logins, payments etc that currently use touchID then just automatically just work with faceID on the X.

Or will they have to be updated by the app developer? Just that the X only has faceID so it ma take time and that means a lot of apps etc won't work off the belt?

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Been wondering that myself. It's one of the reasons I took a hard pass on the X for the time being.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Hopefully it's not a requirement for developers to have to do some updating? Maybe Apple has just "replaced" TouchID directly with FaceID on the X?

4. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

From what I've seen the API is the same, however the user interface guidelines require the app to detect which one is there and name it properly in the dialog/settings. I.e. on a X it should say FaceID not TouchID, and on other devices it should say TouchID and not reference FaceID.

So from a functional standpoint there shouldn't be any updates needed, but from a strings/theme/UI standpoint they may need to update.

That being said, some developers may want to use that detection to also not allow FaceID if they decide they don't want to trust it for some reason.

5. webbuzz, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Yes. Craig Federighi discussed it during an interview with Gruber.

Go to 23:40

6. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

It should just work automatically even if the app isn't updated as it will use the same APIs.