Will existing apps need to be updated to support new iPad pro resolution?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sregreb, Nov 10, 2015.

1. sregreb macrumors newbie

sregreb

I am wondering if existing iPad apps will need to be updated to properly display on the new higher iPad Pro resolution. Similar to the way apps had to be updated to support the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus resolutions. I know it took forever for many developers to make this change. Any thoughts are appreciated....

2. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

That depends on how the app is designed, and how it identifies itself. But given the general trend here, it's almost certain that yes, they will at least need to be recompiled. Best case scenario for most apps is that they were designed to use auto layout and a recompile with updated compatibility identifiers will make it work well enough.

BTW, a lot of apps are already updated. My guess is it's largely those that made the switch to proper auto layout support in the past.

3. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

No, image assets in Xcode are the same as the were before the iPad pro (1x, @2x and @3x).

4. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

as long as they have Tinder on ipad pro i am happy. cant wait to swipe with my entire palm

5. mrklaw macrumors 65816

I hope the landscape keyboard doesn't take up the entire width of the iPad. It's already on big on iPad air

6. sregreb thread starter macrumors newbie

sregreb

Hmm just as I feared. Most existing iPad apps I use have not been updated and therefore look....kinda crappy. Google maps, Facebook, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. look large and grainy. I think it will be a long wait again until these and other updates roll out. Some apps on my phone have only recently been updated to support iPhone 6 Plus resolutions. So I won't hold my breath. It's a great device but will be probably be a better purchase after the holidays at least. Plus I have no pencil which is a huge selling point for me as well...

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Apps that support split screen multitasking will (should) work without any changes. Others will need to be updated.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

aka,, u can run iPhone games on ipad,, and they appear as 1, 2 zoom etc...

The same i would think would be true for iPad Pro too... it will be just scaled, so as always ipad only versions will always look better than iphone only apps/games.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

A lot of my older games are not working. I'm crying over Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.

10. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Apps like Facebook look terrible on the iPad Pro. Hopefully they improve the app because it is pretty bad at the moment. Very similar to the shift to retina timeframe where it took some apps awhile to take advantage of the resolution.

11. Macalway macrumors 68000

Yes, there are some issues.

Fortunately, the apps I use most look fantastic. Much better than on the smaller screen,

12. sregreb thread starter macrumors newbie

sregreb

I'd be happy enough if Google would roll out updates for Maps and YouTube. Two apps that would really shine on the iPad Pro and they currently look like they are for little kids. They have updated their Search app and sometime you get a glimpse of the high-res Google maps in there and they look great. Anybody aware of any other map-related apps that have been optimized for the Pro?

13. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular