Will Express card34 slots come back?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by I'mAMac, Aug 11, 2010.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

In the 15" models as well? I know not a ton of people have a use for it but I do need it and I don't really want to lug around a 17" and was wondering if possibly in the next refresh would they put them back in the 15" models also.

2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Maybe, we won't know until some rumors with pics with the new body come out. go here, apple.com/feedback

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

No. With faster ports coming the expresscard slot is dead, plus Apple doesn't like to support the port either.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, deader then a door nail.

Firewire is on life support as well. Apple once a staunch supporter seems to be pulling away from this as well.

5. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Expresscard made more sense when things like 3G cards were too clunky for a USB port, but that problem's gone. Expresscard is a high-speed interface akin to PCI-Express, but USB3 should supercede it.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

lug around a 17" lol it should come with a crane and one of those little cars that say "OVERSIZED LOAD" on it :rolleyes::D

expresscard ain't dead, but not enough people used it on the 15". Lots of my buddies though it was some sort of remote holder (that didn't work) or maybe a vent, or just something you stick your fingernail in when you're board.

7. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

Oh, and Apple claimed when pulling the Expresscard slot from the 15" that less than 10% of owners actually used it, and people wanted a SD slot.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If that were true. Apple would of released their newest Macs with USB3 support and replaced the fatter, resource wasting USB ports for the more compact MicroUSB.

9. andrew086 macrumors regular

Unfortunately, I don't see this coming back. But if it does, I'm sure it won't be ExpressCard 34 but rather ExpressCard 2.0.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I highly doubt it makes sense replacing the USB ports with MicroUSB. You would need adapters for every single USB device you use. More little parts to carry around and to lose. Not a great proposition.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

huh?

34 is the slot size and 2.0 is the specification, which calls for backwards compatability with older devices..sooo it will be ex34