Will FB-DIMM RAM be used in the next generation MacPro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jul 4, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I try to decide between a MacPro and a self-made PC (Intel Core2Quad Extreme QX9770) to run Windows applications. If I go for the MacPro, I will buy at least 16GB RAM. The FB-DIMM RAM are quite expensive. I wonder if I could use them in future high-end Mac. Is it true that Apple will not use FB-DIMM in the next generation MacPro?

2. PLin macrumors 6502

Nobody but Apple knows for sure what type of memory they will be using in future Mac Pro models. One can only speculate based on the advancing technology of memory for PC's.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I say yes, many say no. I don't want it to be yes, many don't want it to be yes, either.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

People have been saying for awhile that FB-DIMMs are going to be replaced in the next generation workstations/servers.

But that is really up to Intel to make that choice, it is whatever they decide to use.

Since these are workstation/server platforms -- Intel doesn't alway use inexpensive technologies on them.

Sometimes they make a choice that gets orphaned in a generation or two.

---

Even if Intel had decided on DDR2 memory for these machines, DDR3 (or whatever) is right around the corner -- so there is that chance even using desktop memory that the memory you buy now won't be useable in the next generation machine.

5. portent macrumors 6502a

Unless you have some compelling reason that you're not mentioning, just get the PC.

Regardless of whether future Macs use FB-DIMMs or not, it is likely that future computers will use faster memory than the current Mac Pro. It's unlikely that you'll be able to re-use your memory.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Intel have already made the choice. They will be using DDR3 on dual socket system boards which will feature in the Mac Pro.