Will FC Studio run on an intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Filmaker, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Filmaker macrumors newbie

Since buying my G4 dual 1Ghz, 2Gb Ram, in 2002 I have run FCP 3 then 4 with great success. I recently bought the Apple upgrade from FCP4 to FC Studio.
    I wonder if I could run FC Studio with all its features on one of the latest spec iMac 24" models? Say the 2.8 dual core for instance?

My G4 has 2ghz of Ram and a 64Mb graphics card, which runs my 23" Cinema Display without any problem. Presumably 2 ghz of Ram with the Radeon 2600 with 256Mb would be just brilliant on the 24" screen as they both have a res of 1900x1200.

What do you think? Is anyone running this app on the iMac? How would the performance compare G4 to Dual Core iMac?

2. michal123 macrumors newbie

intel imac

intel imac is good processor and it is run with the Apple upgrade from FCP4 to FC Studio. It is having good ram and good speed and intel imac is so nice.
    =========================================================
    <a href="http://www.******************/kansas">
    Kansas Drug Addiction</a>

3. michal123 macrumors newbie

4. 7031 macrumors 6502

The intel iMac would easily run Final Cut Studio. Heck, I used run it on one before I got my MBP.

5. Filmaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Will FC Studio run on Intel iMac?

It is good to know that the iMac will be fine. I posted on a video site a couple of years back asking much the same question and was advised to buy the MacPro Quad with 4-8Gb Ram. This was so expensive that I stayed using my G4 which really did all I needed.

I cannot see in the specs if the iMac has a DVI out? Mac Mini does and MBP and MP so I suppose it should, but could you confirm that?

How much real time is now available on the time line for effects and render?

Thanks for that.

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

The iMac has DVI out, but you need to buy a $20 adapter to use it.

7. Filmaker thread starter macrumors newbie

FCP on intel iMac

I was reading the specs today for FC Studio 2 and I see Colour will only run on the base 2.8Ghz iMac 24". So that is with the Radeon Pro graphics card.
    I wonder if you could use the 20" 2.66 Ghz iMac with the same Radeon Pro card and a 23" Mac monitor set up as a desktop extension. That way you would have 1900x1200 on your second monitor and a card that can more than cope with that resolution. Any ideas?

8. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Apple also used to say that FC Studio wouldn't run on a MB, but changed it's course after people proved 'em wrong. Color should work fine on any Imac, albeit maybe at a slower pace than the faster one.

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Apple seems to base the system requirements of their pro apps on what platforms they want to provide support for. I have no problems running Color even on my white 2.16GHz C2D iMac. FCS2 shipped long before the 2.8GHz iMacs even existed...