Will File Browser or another let me access NAS and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Frznrth, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Frznrth, Nov 20, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016

Frznrth macrumors member

Hi
    Im wanting to get a new iPad to replace my old iMac before it dies but I want to make sure I can use the iPad to access the pictures and home videos I'm going to put on a NAS and also save backups to my time capsule.

I read that File Browser might do this but I also read apps do this for a while and then stop working also Apple support told me I can't do this with an iPad - didn't ask about apps though.

How about Cloud Connect Pro - sounds even better than File Browser as it is supposedly good with iphones - anyone use?

Anyone doing this - know for sure?? If not I guess I'll be looking for a mac book - this will work - right??

Thanks for the help.

2. ericwn macrumors 65816

I use Documents by Readdle to access my network storage. Works pretty well for me!

3. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Second Documents. Like it much better than File Browser. It will do all the things you mention in your post.

4. Peepo macrumors 6502a

FileBrowser will open many of your movies and pictures from NAS and stream incompatible files like MKV to other apps. To play video from nas though you could look at infuse in addition

FileBrowser works with both iPad and iPhones.

Cloud connect pro last update was in 2013 so I would stay far far away.

5. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

6. lexvo macrumors 65816

Documents 5 is the first app to try as it has very good functionality and its free.

As an alternative look at iFiles 2. This is a good file browser with a modern interface (IMO FileBrowser looks a bit dated). It also has a build in PDF annotator and it makes good use of iOS sharing extensions.

7. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

8. alecgold, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016

alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Eeehm, good question, let me check that. I don't have a time capsule, but I do have a time machine backup next to my mac in a black magic multi dock with some ssd's. nice stuff btw, black magic.

Oh and apple stops making routers and all :( so it is just a matter of time before you need to find something different then an time capsule.

Any way, I'll check it.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 25, 2016 ---
    well, two things.
    First I can't find the disks that are connected to my Mac with a thunderbolt. I can easily login, I can find everything under the users directory, but I can't go up. Makes some sense.

Second thing I checked is that I plugged an SD-card-with-USB-dongle into my Airport Extreme, just to create an external disk.
    Then I opened up airport config on my mac, made an account that could login to the disk, reboot and hey presto, I can login. I assume the same can be done with the airport config app on iOS. (check, yes, you can do that on iOS as well).
    So if you want a Network disk on your Airport extreme, that ain't a problem.
    I did it via SMB btw, but I assume SFTP or FTP would also be possible?

Accessing the Time Capsule is something I can't check.
    I'm wondering why I can't find/share my external drives on my Mac. That would be handy. Perhaps via "back to my Mac"....?
    and another update:
    if I use Documents 5 to login to my Mac via SMB, I can see every file and folder, including every external drive.
    Downloading a "Study in Pink" via SMB (1,5Gb) is slow, I think about 2 minutes. Should be enough for streaming, but should/could be much faster.
    Last update, then I'm going to do something more productive.
    You can login with Documents 5 via SFTP (or if you really want with FTP, but it's not really safe) but then you can't see anything else then via the nearby icon. So SFTP is possible and pretty much useless :D