Will Firefox ever get HTML5 H.264?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kristoffer4, Jan 22, 2010.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Now that both You Tube and vimeo is dishing flash I want H.264 for FF which I now use.

Currently Chrome and Safari supports this but could someone in theory make a plugin for Firefox ?
    Maybe a paid plugin to pay for the license fee for H.264? :(

2. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

3. Aronnax macrumors regular

Who knows :rolleyes:
    Opera and Mozilla have problems with the license and cost.
    But Google for example has not a problem with the license and as far as i know have they a little money :D
    When Google really want to stimulate HTML5 and H.264 on YouTube is it probably the best solution, when they offer a H.264 PlugIn.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no worries. I bet Youtube or Vimeo will not push to H.264 only before there is such a plugin.

Flash is improving too. ogg is good too. I dont see Youtube or Vimeo commit business suicide.

Firefox itself? at this time, I dont see H.264 go into firefox, firefox is free OSS software, it doesn't even come with flash player, how can it bundle H.264?

finally, HTML5 doesn't state H.264 as the codec of preference, and firefox supports HTML5 video tag with ogg codec included, and can play it natively in full screen mode.