Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm hoping to get a new iMac soon but in the mean time I'm plugging along with my G5 PowerMac but flash is becoming a problem, in Fire Fox. For a while I've been getting an annoying yellow strip at the top of any window that included flash. But now all videos will not display and right click says they have not loaded, you just get a black box where the video would be. This of course includes YouTube.

Weird thing is they would fine in Safari.

I have the latest version (for PPC) of both installed and the flash is up-to-date with the last version 10.1.102.64 to work with PPC.

Also for some time now (well over a year) I've not been able to log into my YouTube account with FireFox or leave comments, again Safari seams to still work fine.

Yes I've tried the fix ironically found on YouTube but it didn't work, Safari and FireFox acting just the same.

Sorry if this already has a thread, I did look but could not find one.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Answer: Never. Has been discontinued for ages now.

Download TenFourFox as your browser. Use MacTubes for Youtube. Download any other flash videos and play them in VLC or use Handbrake to transcode them to a decent format (MP4/H264/AVC-JVT).

What are your specs? I got 2x 1.8GHz G5, 4GB memory, 256MB ATI FireGL X3, I can play 720p at about 12mbit/sec and 1080p at about 6mbit/sec

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
No it won't..

Adobe just dropped flash support for Linux it'll now only be availble through chrome. They also dropped it in Android 4.1

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
As others have said, the only way I can see them getting an update is if there's some severe vulnerability in Flash that requires a security update. Usually, when somebody abandons software for PowerPC, it's for good. The mobile version of YouTube works even better than MacTubes, you just open the video in QuickTime and it plays even faster. I can stream videos from my iBook clamshell without lag, so it should probably be fine on a PowerMac G5. And, you can still view the comments. But if MacTubes works without lag, then I don't really see any advantage of using the mobile site, except it's in a browser.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I think it's a good thing that they've Adobe have dropped Linux support. It'll further push HTML5 development and will hopefully get Flash flushed down the toilet even sooner - giving PowerPC media streaming some sort of hope for the future.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Flash is dying anyway.

Even adobe has seen the writing on the wall and is releasing HTML5 / javascript development tools.

I'm glad that they're switching. The version of Flash for Mac OS X is really inferior to the version they put out for Windows. Even on the same machines, I've seen it always do worse on Mac OS X. I think they're getting an inferior product. And people criticize Macs for how hard it is to do gaming on them. And Flash isn't that well coded in the first place, so it hogs a lot of CPU. Hopefully, HTML5 will work a lot better than Flash, and from my experience it has.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
The quicker they kill this pos software that slows web pages down..the better! I've been on the internet since my old windows 3.1 days,and web pages without flash where so much faster!

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I know it was a long shot, and I'm hoping to move to an Intel iMac just as soon as Apple updates the current iMac its just a pity that this G5 is still a functional computer and I will be holding on to it for some older software that no longer runs on the current OS X or Intel Macs.

Just a couple of points, why is the likes of YouTube still works in Safari but not FireFox when they both use the same flash?

And b) just checked and I can once again play flash video in FireFox, hasn't been working the last couple of days? Still can't access my YouTube account from FF but at least they play okay.

Oh and I use DownloadHelper in FireFox to download media I want including YouTube in mp4.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
I have always hated flash myself. Long Live HTML5! I think this alone will breathe new life into out PowerPC Macs.

The quicker they kill this pos software that slows web pages down..the better! I've been on the internet since my old windows 3.1 days,and web pages without flash where so much faster!

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010

I've actually gone back to using wannabe, the text only browser for some of my browsing needs. All I want to do is READ the nytimes, and using wannabe also gets around the annoying as hell 10 article limit. Seriously nytimes, what is this, 1995? Also, no ads whatsoever. If I desperately want to view an image I can download it. I know, I am a luddite. Using this forum is a little difficult in wannabe, but its readable.

Also, Chrome and Chromium for Linux will still have newer versions of Flash, but agreed, it is POS software if ever there was.

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
The only problem I have encountered with Flash (apart from when surfing with older macs) is that it makes content unavailable for disabled persons. It's just not all that compatible with the standards we expect sites to meet when browsing. So while I don't personally think it's superduperhorrible I too am looking forward to the gradual decommission of Flash.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
The thread dies as of now. Zen as well as I pointed out that there will be no more flash upgrade for the PowerPC ANYMORE. In fact, Adobe now sees flash as a failure and is going to discontinue it anyway which is good news since HTML5 won.

I hereby declare this thread CLOSED.

:)

This thread... Will not... DIE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.