Will Flash ever truly be optimised for OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by martynmc7, Jul 13, 2009.

1. martynmc7 macrumors regular

It's always seemed ridiculous to me that with so many OS X users out there Adobe has never seen fit to really push flash optimisation on Macs. There seem to be small incremental improvements, after recently updating to flash player 10 my CPU usage on YouTube HD videos went down from 80% to around 50-60%, but these are still ridiculous numbers for a simple YouTube video (not to mention my lap getting stupidly warm after enough YouTube-ing thanks to the CPU load).

What are people's thoughts, will Adobe ever bother? Will flash ever die and give way to a better format that can be optimised for Macs straight off the bat? Will Snow Leopard make any difference? Do Adobe even care? Is there anything to be done?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I sure hope not. I want HTML5 to replace everything that Flash used to be the go-to app for.

Use web standards for webpages, not Flash. Not from one company.

3. martynmc7 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, the internet is an open forum for information and discussion, and as such shouldn't have to use proprietary means. Companies can do what they like with their software and OS', but no one company owns the internet, it should be based on open formats for all it's media.

4. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Yeah, now all we have to do is hope that the browser vendors decide on a format. Or at least decide on formats anyone can use.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

agreed. flash should die, its just a horrible product these days.

6. kropotov macrumors member

i know, that there exist alternative flash (not adobe) that need less resourses

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

A recent posting on WHATWG by Ian 'Hixie' Hickson, author and maintainer of the Web Applications 1.0/HTML5 specification, regarding codecs for <audio> and <video> seems to indicate you may be waiting a while... Quoting from the message:

8. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Yes, this is a major bummer when the standards committees can't reach a conclusion.

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

Unless there's a radical change in personnel at Adobe, I don't see it happening. Their products have gone down in quality a lot in recent years and the OSX versions seem to be consistently worse than their Windows counterparts. Same is true with the Flash plugin.

10. Keleko macrumors 68000

I keep my hopes up that one day Apple will buy Adobe. Then maybe they'd fix Flash.

11. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Funny, I keep praying that MS Won't buy Adobe! ;) I am too dependent on CS4...:eek:

12. vanc macrumors 6502

It should be possible to add H.264 support to Firefox with a plugin. There are some open source H.264 decoders out there.

For Opera, I don't think most people will care about what they will be doing.

13. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

That would almost completely kill the design industry!

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think the easiest thing, and something that has been mentioned in the discussions I've read, is for each webpage to see what operating system & browser is running and to make the determination of which video to play. Sites already have multiple video files anyway (mov, wmv, etc) so having an h.264 and an ogg file will not be a departure for them, but for the user the experience becomes transparent, and that ought to be the goal for HTML5--creating the experience for the user.

15. madog macrumors 65816

madog

But that would require work and extra server space...... and work by the webmasters. WORK!

I don't see that happening on a large scale at any time.

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

But it's precisely what's happening now. Webmasters are having to maintain a quicktime version and a windows media version for different platforms. The only difference is that we (the users) have to select which one we want to watch.

17. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

I think this is actually happening less now than it used to--thanks to Flash.

18. ruku macrumors member

I remember reading that if google changed its homepage to a black background the power savings throughout the world would be huge. Imagine if flash optimized their plugin, i think its ecologically unsound and unfair for them to not open up the code for optimization and then allow some of our laptops to cool down. id buy a new computer just so it doesnt have to have the fans whirring everytime i watch some youtube clips.

19. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Actually on TFT monitors aka LCD, it reqires more energy to produce black then white with the exception being Vertical Alignment lcd's which account for less than 5% of lcds.

20. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Beat me to it, though I was going to ask if IPS monitors would have the same "issue".

To explain the concept a little further (while still keeping it basic): twisted nematic (TN) LCDs apply current to "twist" the arrangement of the liquid crystals in each cell on the screen. The more current, the tighter the formation, and the less light let through. So full current would get you black, and no current gets you white.

21. Freyqq macrumors 68040

it's not really optimized for any OS...pretty slow all around

22. Matek macrumors 6502a

It's not a problem of reaching conclusions, they had already made this decision but the industry was against it, as the posted text shows. They can't really do much, they only propose standards. If companies that make browsers refuse to accept those standards, they don't mean anything.

:D Good one...

I agree to an extent, but it's still much much better on Windows.

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

You're probably right. But we know that the biggest problems with flash are 1) it's still crappy video, 2) it requires a plug-in and 3) it sucks on anything but Windows. Since HTML5 <video> is supposed use native codecs, which are better quality than flash, all 3 of those points are addressed.

I don't know how they will resolve this conflict, but hopefully someone will do something to compromise so that these new advancements in HTML5 can be used. In the solution I posted (which isn't mine, I'm just repeating it), it just seems to me like it's the web developer that's going to have to do it, or we're going to be stuck using flash, silverlight, wmv, h.264 and ogg, in plug-in hell.