Will fonts added to the user fonts folder slow down the OS?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by skadd, Jun 21, 2014.

1. skadd macrumors regular

I remember when I added a thousand fonts to Windows XP 10 or so years ago and it completely crippled the system. Bootup, shutdown, browsing files etc.

Now OSX has different kinds of fonts folders, one for the system and various others. So if I add lots of fonts I need to use in my work in the users fonts folder does that slow down the whole OS?

(~/Library/Fonts/)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OS X is not Windows XP. Mac users who require numerous fonts have traditionally used font management utilities such as Suitcase or Font Explorer X Pro. The OS X bundled Font Book utility can also be used to manage your fonts. However, the chief benefit of management utilities is that they make it easier to navigate your installed fonts.

As to your question about crippling the system, this can be an issue if one or more of your installed fonts is corrupt. Repairing corrupt fonts is another reason to use font management software. However, fonts are not corrupted by their shear number. Use Font Book or one of the commercial alternatives to ensure the integrity of your fonts and you should be fine irrespective of the number of fonts that you install.