Will format my HD, need help on backup...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PeterQC, Feb 8, 2009.

1. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

My Macbook does not feel as snappy as it was when I first got it.
    I installed/uninstalled many apps and moved lot of files and reinstalled many times my Windows XP partition (at least 4 times), I want to do a fresh reinstall of everything.

Are there files that I should save that aren't already on my personnal folders? All my important apps (Adobe suit, Word and Suitcase) are already given and installed by my college and I own no paid apps (I don't download either, btw).

Also, once OSX reinstalled, Is there's more that I should do, like reinstalling Apple apps, etc. to be sure that it is in the same state that it was when I first booted it?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

iDefrag or do a Time Machine backup, and then boot from OS X 10.5 DVD, Erase(reformat) your Mac partition, and then do a System Restore from Backup. Don't touch the Bootcamp partition.

Is at least 10% of your hard disk empty?

3. PeterQC thread starter macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Yes.

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I'd go the Time Machine route; just get your hands on an external drive large enough to hold the data on your Mac.

Keeping >10% free is important for the system to prevent really bad fragmentation.

5. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

If you already have iDefrag (or don't care about the legality of pirating), I'd do that before Time Machine.

However, remember that if there are any problems because of weird file mutations or deletions it will not be fixed. You should be able to fix some of these by booting from your install cd and repairing disk.

Lastly, you might want to try running Onyx (just check all under automation tab) before you do anything.