Will frequent travel hurt my MacBook? Also, get Monster Screen Clean.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sankersizzle, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Hey, I'm not one of those "OCD" people who worry about everything that their MacBook Bro's go through. However I have a question that mRoogle didn't really help me with. I very frequently take my in the car where it gets jostled and roughed up by the rough roads and what not. It's in a bag I'm sure, but I'm worried I could bump something lose or whatever. I walk to school when I'm on campus and every now and then I'll jump or get tacked by my buds and what not. Has anyone heard of something coming loose due to lots of travelling?

Also, I recently got this product from Monster. I got the generic screen clean, not the laptop specific version or anything. I really like it. I'm genuinely surprised at how well it works. Spray on the microfiber cloth and your screen is like brand new. In addition, it will clean the aluminum for you as well. The best part, is that the dust that does land on your screen, MacBook can be gently blown off. Highly recommended.

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I carry my MBP with me everywhere when I'm at school. It's generally in my backpack, and goes through a regular day-to-day use. e.g. getting jostled by people, smacking the occasional closing door. And it's in perfect condition. You got nothing to worry about.

Nice signature. Haha.

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If it's in a bag, it'll be fine. You can buy heavily padded bags if you're worried about your mates. I can't really give any advice on what bags are best, I only have a lightly padded bag but my macs not got any major dents or scratches.

4. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I have a backpack with a laptop compartment and my MBP 13" has the Spec See Thru on it. Don't think there should be issues.

Just don't throw the backpack on the ground, step on it, or physically push. Just be aware it is in the bag. Nothing else

5. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

yeah i got that monster screen clean and it works good for me

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Keep it away from the zips inside the bag, if there are any maybe.

I just use computer equipment wipes for my MB's body and a slightly damp cloth to clean the screen, like the manual says.

7. Meever macrumors 6502a

Just make sure your mbp is fully asleep before the bumpy and you won't have to worry about any damage. If you don't let it go to sleep completely you MIGHT damage the hard drive over time.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My MacBook Pro has many scuff, small dings, and scratches from a lot of travel.

In the end my work gets done and the computer has served its purpose. I do clean my computer by cleaning the keyboard and screen; I care about hygiene, so I use a keyboard skin (which, in a way, is disposable).

I tried the InvisibleShield solutions and different cases for my computer. I felt those products just either added unnecessary bulk, or in the case of the skin—it make my computer looks cheap. If you want to use an utilitarian machine which is offers good protection, get a Thinkpad instead—that is a proper workhorse.

I feel people who walk about caring for their computers that look fresh out of the box everyday just don't look like they get any work done. If you computer looks like it has gone through quite a bit, then I applaud the fact that you probably made the best use of your purchase. Note, I didn't applaud people who abuse their machine (like drops, etc.—that's just neglect).

Anyways, if you didn't feel like reading that… I'm just saying: Frequent travel will cause wear and tear on your machine, but in the end if you get results, it shouldn't really matter what your machine looks like as long you respect your own things. That should mean don't neglect it, but at the same time if it gets scratched for some reason, you shouldn't be too concerned—be content that you're making the best value.

9. MrCooperS macrumors member

My previous MacBook was the original Core Duo white MacBook. It has traveled with me for almost 5 days a week for the past 3 to 4 years. It was in the laptop compartment of my backpack and has been taken to school, internships, work and etc. To this day, it still functions, no dents, just normal wear and tear fine scratches. And this was plastic.

10. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Mine has been through an abusive hell of schools, airports, LAN gamefests, and car traveling. It only has about 5 small dents and scratches, but those come from careless usage or putting the computer down on a coin or something. But traveling? These Macs, while not scratch-proof, are built like tanks.