Will full restore reverse unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ckc, Nov 13, 2010.

1. ckc macrumors regular

I have a 3gs (3.1.3) unlocked by Cydia, no apps other than the ones available through iTunes have been downloaded , I understand that Cydia was only installed to be able to unlock the phone.

The phone works without any problems, but, if any problem is encountered that requires a full restore as a new phone would that reverse the unlock? I want to keep it on 3.1.3 and not to upgrade to ios4x

Or if it would reverse the unlock any suggestions as to the best way to retain the unlock in case of a problem? I have no need to download any apps using Cydia as the phone, now it is unlocked, serves its intended purpose which suits me.

2. CZK, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

CZK macrumors 6502a

To keep unlock if you have to restore, google sn0wbreeze 2.1 (works with iOS 4.1)
    ________
    TOYOTA PROGR?S

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

Cydia is actually your app source installed when the phone was jailbroke. Ultrasnow is what is used to unlock your iPhone. so if you are on AT&T you dont need the unlock so you can go into cydia then hit manage then uninstall ultrasnow. you will still have your jailbreak and cydia if you do this.

4. ckc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for both of the replies.

The phone was originally locked to 02 (UK) and jailbroken to unlock whilst on that network. It is currently being used on Vodaphone (UK).

So am I right in assuming from the above posts that in the case of a restore and still retaining the current 3.1.3 firmware the unlock will be reversed? As I have said I have no wish to upgrade to the ios4x.

My apologies for requesting clarification but my knowledge of the finer points of jailbraking/unlocking are way over my head. :confused:

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes, restoring will relock the phone. You can, however, contact O2 to perform an authorised unlock, which will persist across restores.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Of you could restore to custom 4.1 ipsw created with pwnage to maintain your unlockable baseband and install ultrasnow again from cydia to unlock.