Will games work on new MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iFusionApple, Jun 26, 2013.

1. iFusionApple macrumors member

I was wondering if the new MacBook Air can handle games such as: Assassin's Creed 3, Battlefield 3, GTA IV.

I guess if i would upgrade to 1.7 Ghz Dual-i7 and 8GB, that would help. But how well are games playable, for example medium or low settings with the HD 5000? I read that most games arent playable at all, but the graphics card in our 2007 PC is very bad and I could play AC3 fine in low settings. And it's got 4GB of RAM only.

So:
    -is it really necessery to upgrade to 8GB RAM (bit of gaming, everyday work [documents, internet, films, ...])
    -are the games just playable at all or not? Not looking at settings and fps...

Thanks all guys, if questions, feel free to ask! :)

Edit: i would play the games on windows and i'm talking about the 13" model. In case that helps. I'm not a real gamer, but occasionaly i want to enjoy a game that runs ok ond my MBA. :p

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Playable yes. I can see it working but the fans will be loud and it will get hot. Will reduce the life of the laptop. I always recommend getting 8 GB on the air be because you can't do it later and you will see the difference.

3. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

So, you don't recommend to play games like once a week on the Air? I don't really want less battery life, a hot MBA and loud fans just because of that. Then I rather wait for the new 13" rMBP.

Edit: what about upgrading to the dual-core 1.7 Ghz i7 processor?

4. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

gaming once a week, should be fine, same as me on a older system.

but you did write "for gaming" then I think people are thinking high-level detailed full resolution every night and sometimes morning gaming.

5. iFusionApple thread starter macrumors member

Yes, well i don't game that often :p
    Anyway, thanks, now i know that it should work.