Will Genius Bar Disassemble A Working iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGuy122472, Jan 18, 2016.

1. MacGuy122472, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016

MacGuy122472 macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I had an incident a while back where I dropped my iPhone 6 into some shallow water. I grabbed it out in less than a second. The phone still worked but needed a little drying out. I checked the LDI by the sim card slot and it is still white. However, that part of the phone was covered by my case. I think it is far more likely that water got to my speaker area where there is another LDI.

Here's the issue: The phone works and there is no outward evidence of water damage. In fact I would go so far as to say that it has no water damage. Period. I never took it apart etc. However, ever since I had the phone, it has had the creaky screen problem. I am taking it in for that problem to see if they will replace it under the 12 month warranty.

Question: If the phone is fully functional, would the Genius Bar take the phone apart (i.e. go further than looking at the LDI in the sim card slot) to look for water damage before determining whether or not to replace the phone for a squeaky screen? I ask this because even though the phone was not damaged by water, the LDI near the ear speaker might be red/pink.

Thanks for any help!

2. Repelle macrumors regular

The first thing I've had some geniuses do is check for water damage as soon as the phone is handed to them.

With that said, as it's an external problem and providing the externally visible indicators aren't tripped, I would guess you'll be ok.

3. MacGuy122472 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would think so. I am just worried because they might find evidence of a water breach if the screen were taken off. I just thought that if the phone works, why would they take the screen off especially if the indicator inside the sim is still white.

4. Repelle macrumors regular

Yup agreed, I couldn't see any possible reason for them to do that.

Is there an indicator in the headphone jack like on earlier iPhones?

5. MacGuy122472 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not from what I have researched. The only two that are on the iPhone 6 are the one in the sim card slot and one right next the the ear speaker.

6. Repelle macrumors regular

Nice. Then you should be good to go. Good luck!

7. MacGuy122472 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to close off this thread...I just got back from the Genius Bar and the tech agreed to replace the device without even looking at the sim car slot for water damage.

Going back later to pick it up, first had to back up my phone.

8. predation macrumors 6502a

just do an express exchange. yeah you get a hold charge, but you'll get a replacement.

9. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

I can't bother to find it but it was reported even on here that the new iPhones have very good water resistance.

I'm talking submerged in a glass or bowl of water and still functioning. I'm talking submerged for an hour and still good.

10. qawsed macrumors regular

I dropped mine in water for 5 seconds and it was completely destroyed. Be careful. Lucky I had insurance.