Will Genius Bar give me a discount on new charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by notaznguy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. notaznguy macrumors member

Okay so old Macbook charger of 3 years has finally stopped working. Apparently the chord has melted so badly or whatever and I must've yanked t hard a couple of times.

Anyways, a few months ago I went to the Genius Bar for a totally different issue (it was to fix some cracks on my Macbook) and the guy also mentioned to me if I was interested, he could give me a $20 discount if I bought a brand new charger. Now of course at the time I was not interested so I passed.

Fast forward several months later, I would like that discount. Does anyone know if Apple will give me a $20 or ANY some sort of discount if I purchase a new charger by making an appointment with the Genius Bar first? DANG, I regret not buying it a few months earlier when the worker mentioned ti to me =(

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Go there, tell them you were offered a $20 discount on a new charger but wanted to think about it, and that you would like to buy it now.

If they say no, go pick one up off eBay for $30 less than the Apple store.

3. notaznguy thread starter macrumors member

Will do. I don't have the actual receipt of the last time I went there, which was December, but I do have an email that says "Please follow up on your Apple In Store Repair by filling out our survey." I don't know. I would really, really like this $20 discount. I'm kinda broke right now and shelling out $87 for a charger would just kill me. $66 would alleviate the pain.

4. notaznguy thread starter macrumors member

One more question, on ebay I've found some "fake" chargers that are significantly cheaper. Has anyone ever bought one of these? From the looks of it, they look just fine. The only difference is that they're boot leg. But supposedly they work fine. I would rather pay $20 for one of those.

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I've bought cheap laptop chargers from eBay before and they always have worked fine. If not, you can always send it back. Alternatively, you can probably get a working used one that's genuine for the same price if you'd prefer the better quality.

6. notaznguy thread starter macrumors member

I mean, if those "fake" ones on ebay work the same as a genuine one, I would just buy the fake one. I just need to know things like if the extension chord (which I have) is compatible with the "fake" ones too.

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

My experience has been that they work fine, but sometimes feel cheaper (e.g. it's lighter or it "creaks"). Also, adapters don't always fit perfectly.

Case in point - I have a regular US Apple charger for my MBP, and I bought a European adapter tip to use it in Europe, but it's way too tight of a fit. I ended up buying more cheap tips from a different seller to see if they fit any better (and Apple's World Traveler pack is like $40, which is out of the question)

8. notaznguy thread starter macrumors member

Alright, well I made an appointment for the Genius Bar. If they will sell it to me for a $20 discount, I will buy it right away. If not...I will probably still buy it right away, but will be very bitter about it.

Thank you so much for your help. You're the only that has answered my thread at this point (it's late, I know). Your posts have done so much for me, thank you.

9. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

No problem ;)

On a side note, I was actually looking at places to get a 2nd charger tonight and just bought one off Amazon. It was a genuine Apple charger and it was only $30 (from a 3rd party seller). Look there before going to the Apple store and paying way too much.