Will glass screen protectors help prevent a shattered screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shikaka, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Shikaka macrumors regular

Have there been any drop tests with phones that have a glass screen protector?

I'm curious to know if the glass offers any support to help prevent screen shatter? Keep in mind that most 6/6+ protectors leave an exposed edged due to the curved screen.

2. CrimsonKnight macrumors 6502

CrimsonKnight

I have not seen any tests like such. I do doubt they will protect much against impact though.

3. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

It may help some but not enough to protect it from a waist high drop, IMHO.

Apple cases come up around the sides high enough that, when placing the phone face down on say, a table top, the phone is resting on the edge of the case and not the glass or screen. This makes a big difference from some of the cheap silicone cases on the market. The cheap one I used covered the back and sides of my iPhone 6 just fine but did not wrap around the sides high enough to protect the glass. Subsequently, when I picked up my phone from a ceramic table top (laying on it's protected back via the case) it flipped around within my fingers and fell back on the countertop cracking the glass, barely a 2" drop!

From my own experience, it seems that the curved glass edge Apple added to the iPhone 6 may have made it weaker and more prone to accidental breakage than the flat surface Gorilla Glass used on previous models. I'm betting there will be a large increase in broken glass/screens on this model compared to others before it.

Apple could have made the sides of their cases higher than the glass which would certainly have better protected the front glass, but then Apple would lose all that revenue from replacing the damaged glass screens and their over-priced cases.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

A screen protector will help little but will keep the glass shards from falling out after the screen breaks.

5. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

Full, curved tempered glass screen protectors are on their way. Most, if not all the screen protectors available at the moment have been made without the exact dimensions (prerelease manufactured).
    The full protectors will, I imagine, offer some degree of extra protection against shattering.

6. maj71303, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014

maj71303 macrumors member

maj71303

Free iP6+ tempered glass screen protectors.

glass screen protectors do wonders for all the devices i have put them own.

7. bugelrex macrumors regular

Its hard to see how a full curved glass protector will stay stuck to the glass, unless the edges are curved down to match (I imagine very expensive to manufacture) its going to lift at the edges and attract dust..

8. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

iLoome/ Screen Mate are due to release their full screen, curved tempered glass protector at the start of October for an offer price of about £20.
    I'm interested to see how well it adheres to the screen as well, but I suspect the current flat protectors would be more susceptible to lifting and dust than the curved ones will be. I have a flat glass protector at the moment and none of the edges are actually struck to the screen.

9. Quahog macrumors member

I work part time at Best Buy, and I have seen a few of the Zagg glass screens come back completely shattered, but leaving the iphone screen intact.

Whether or not the phone screen would have shattered without the screen protector is unknown, but if the screen protector is shattering in impact, then that certainly is absorbing a decent amount of the shock instead of it being on the screen itself.

If the impact is hard enough on the corner, it's probably not going to offer any protection at all, but a direct glass-down impact on cement, I think it helps.

I use one on my iPhone 6 plus... I didn't use a screen protector at all on my 5 or 5s, and before that, they only had the plastic wet-apply protectors... which suck.

10. ciscomata Suspended

ciscomata

I was told they did, that's why I spent the $45 at AT&T to get one. Plus the others one they had were ugly.