Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
Think about it. 2 huge companies. Apple makes superior hardware while Google makes superior software. Both could use each other in some way. They would dominate pretty much everything.

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2013
It'll happen eventually. Just like how Apple and Microsoft merged in the 90s.

Apple didnt have to because iTunes and the iPod saved them. They are now losing that mobile war that they have been kings of for well over a decade. Android has blown past them in marketshare for smartphones and analysts say Android tablets will overtake iPad sales sometime this year. Dark days ahead unless Apple comes up with a new strategy and fast.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Apple didnt have to because iTunes and the iPod saved them. They are now losing that mobile war that they have been kings of for well over a decade. Android has blown past them in marketshare for smartphones and analysts say Android tablets will overtake iPad sales sometime this year. Dark days ahead unless Apple comes up with a new strategy and fast.

So wrong I don't know where to start... But lets give it a go.

1) late 2007 - early 2013 is now considered a decade? For most its 5.5 years.

2) they are losing? they are still as single manufacturers go - the most successful smartphone maker.

3) but android has overtaken? Apple = one company offering a smartphone/tablet - Android = 100 (and more) manufacturers all offering hardware at different specs and prices. Inevitably android sales as a whole woud overtake iOS - Apple predicted it themselves...

But on an individual manufacturer level outside of Samsung nothing compares to Apples sales. Anylyst predictions are as inane as ever, for what they predict is just inevitability, it doesn't mean Apple are failing, it just means the market sector as a whole is growing bigger. That there are more people buying tablets and smartphones than ever before. Apple only faces serious concern when their hardware sales are no longer growing year upon year.... However currently they are still growing stronger than ever - but at the same time the industry as a whole is also increasing - which means despite growing; their market share will inevitably shrink as a whole.

Last edited:

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
Aside from the fact that neither company would want or need this, ever...

Another factor to consider is that this would NEVER be allowed by the Federal Government.

They barely allowed T-Mobile and Metro PCS to merge (which was after blocking the T-Mobile AT&T buyout)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Aside from the fact that neither company would want or need this, ever...

Another factor to consider is that this would NEVER be allowed by the Federal Government.

They barely allowed T-Mobile and Metro PCS to merge (which was after blocking the T-Mobile AT&T buyout)

No matter what, that is the main reason it would never happen.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I find myself oddly both dreading yet eagerly anticipating such a merger should it ever take place in the future...

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

"Losing that mobile war", eh? Really?

So, is market share the only measuring stick that determines the "winner" of an industry struggle? If so, you've been sitting on that post for a long time, my friend! LOL

Point 1. Apple makes the lion's share of the profit in the mobile space.

Point 2. Google GIVES Android to OEMs, so yes, they are the market leader in free OS's for mobile devices. Android runs on thousands of phone models worldwide, whereas iOS only runs on 6 models, that only come from Apple.

Point 3. Android on tablets will never provide an experience equal to that of the iPad until they solve the serious problem that most Android tablets simply run in phone mode scaled up. They're not optimized for the extra tablet screen size that's possible.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
So, is market share the only measuring stick that determines the "winner" of an industry struggle? If so, you've been sitting on that post for a long time, my friend! LOL

Comeon. Everyone knows the mobile wars, just as every other market out there, are a zero sum game. If you haven't sold the most units, you've lost. Plain and simple as that. There is no room for second place losers.

Making more money per sale, raking in more in pure profits? It's all standard fanboy excuses to disguise the fact that Apple is currently dying a slow death.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Comeon. Everyone knows the mobile wars, just as every other market out there, are a zero sum game. If you haven't sold the most units, you've lost. Plain and simple as that. There is no room for second place losers.

Making more money per sale, raking in more in pure profits? It's all standard fanboy excuses to disguise the fact that Apple is currently dying a slow death.

As soon as you drop the f'bomb you lose all credibility (well that along with the fact that your talking utter nonsense).

As individual manufacturers go Apple has the best flagship smartphone sales of all. How are they then dying a slow death ?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

LOL

Yes! Because it already happened in PCs! Apple lost that and now you can only buy HP computers! Anywhere! They won the zero sum game!

It already happened in TVs! That's why the job of picking a TV brand have been made so much easier by the fact that Vizio won!

And in graphics cards? F off, AMD/ATI! Rest in Peace! NVidia won because they're the best.

"Everyone knows?" Classic Argumentum ad populum.

By your own argument, Google has lost, because they don't sell Android to OEMs. Therefore, they haven't sold the most of anything in the mobile space.

----------

As soon as you drop the f'bomb you lose all credibility (well that along with the fact that your talking utter nonsense).

As individual manufacturers go Apple has the best flagship smartphone sales of all. How are they then dying a slow death ?

LOL

It's like invoking Godwin's law.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sarcasm is lost on this crowd.

but.... Given the content of this forum - you must remember to add a ;) when being sarcastic.. It helps give context to a post.

for every one post who might be joking / being sarcastic with its content - there are 500 that aren't and so it is hard for anyone to see whether your joking or not without a clear ;) for context. It prevents misunderstanding.

Renzatic

Suspended
Irishman said:
Reading your post history did not make it clear that this was your modus operandi on the MR forums.

What exactly is my modus operandi around here? Am I a fandroid?

but.... Given the content of this forum - you must remember to add a ;) when being sarcastic.. It helps give context to a post.

for every one post who might be joking / being sarcastic with its content - there are 500 that aren't and so it is hard for anyone to see whether your joking or not without a clear ;) for context. It prevents misunderstanding.

True. Sometimes it's hard to read intent and meaning into a forum post. Considering all the people who say the craziest, dumbest things around here, sometimes a sarcastic post can get lost in all that static.

Though in my opinion, adding a ;) or /s kinda takes the fun out of it. :p

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
So right now apple and google merging seems improbable you never know what can happen 20-30 years down the line.

If you told me that blackberry would be on life support 5 years ago I would of thought that was insane.

Kattym

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
I don't think that the market and the world will win anything from the merging. The race makes the companies develop more and more progressive systems. Otherwise, there will be no stimulus for further improvements.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Think about it. 2 huge companies. Apple makes superior hardware while Google makes superior software. Both could use each other in some way. They would dominate pretty much everything.

I hope this was meant as an attempt of sarcasme...

I'm since three months using a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.2.
I prefer more the hardware than the operating system.

Maybe the UI of iOS looks outdated and is less customable than Android, but it does what it has to do perfectly, namely being a layer (between the hardware and the apps) on which the apps run smoothly.
The content and eco-system (Apps, iTunes store, App store and iBooks store) are the most important and there Apple is still serious ahead of the competition.

In my personal opinion, if you create a Linux distribution (which Android is) and you need anti-virus software on it just to check the apps that you are selling in your own app store, you can't consider that Linux distribution as "superior software".

Especially when one of the major selling points of Linux is that through its architectural design in combination with the use of some common sense, you don't need any anti-virus program. (see Ubuntu, Mac OSX, iOS and a every other Linux distributions).

In short: I don't want Android on my iPhone, but a "Hackintosh iOS" on my Samsung Galaxy S3

Renzatic

Suspended
Out of curiosity, how does someone get a virus on Android? Are they driveby exploits? As in you go to a webpage, and suddenly you're infected with a keylogger installed through an ad banner? Or does it come from installing flaky apps from the Play Store, or side loading weird programs you found on the internet?

If it's the latter, then it's really not an issue with the OS itself. Rather what people do with it.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Out of curiosity, how does someone get a virus on Android? Are they driveby exploits? As in you go to a webpage, and suddenly you're infected with a keylogger installed through an ad banner? Or does it come from installing flaky apps from the Play Store, or side loading weird programs you found on the internet?

If it's the latter, then it's really not an issue with the OS itself. Rather what people do with it.

Typically it's a result of people downloading pirated software from websites.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY

Define superior software.

I like iOS better than Android for an operating system. As for software (apps) for the devices, I like Google's app for iOS, and I like Google services. Yet I like Apples software they have released for iOS as well. Some of them are amazing, like garage band for example.

That being said, the two merging would be awful for a consumer without competition products become stale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.