Will Google ever release a desktop OS?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tekno, Aug 15, 2012.

1. tekno macrumors 6502a

There's little doubt that Android has been a runaway success. And Google's openness in allowing it to be used on games consoles, in cars, TVs and probably anything else people care to try it on, as well as phones and tablets, means it'll probably become even more widespread.

iOS on the other hand will always be restricted to Apple devices.

For this reason, what are the chances Google is working on a full desktop OS? I'm beginning to see a time when my phone, tablet, car, TV, PVR, computer, washing machine, home automation system etc. all works on one system. Could Google actually supply that??

At the moment (for the average consumer) if you don't want Windows, Apple is your only other option. Is there room for a third OS?

2. tekno thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is that not some sort of web-based OS though? That's not something I would 'install' on my computer is it?

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

No you can actually download a copy of Chrome OS you can install on a computer. Here is where you get them from: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net

Google will never make an OS that works offline their profit is in people being online and using search, gmail etc.

4. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

It is called Chrome OS...

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I keep hoping Google will ditch this Chrome OS BS and give Android a "desktop mode". IMO the tablet interface is already pretty close, especially given the mouse support. It just needs a window manager and the ability to filter out multitouch-only apps from the play store.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Ubuntu is pretty friendly....