Will GPS work without 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mkw5053, Mar 7, 2010.

1. mkw5053 macrumors newbie

If you have a 3G version and do not pay the $30 one month, so the 3G is disabled, will you still be able to use the GPS? I know some navigation apps need a data connection (TomTom I think), but I also thought some don't (Navigon possibly?).

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It will take a little longer to locate you though.

3. joseluis.17 macrumors regular

absolutly I've used my iphone 3gs's gps on places that are not covered by any network so don't worry

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The A-GPS is 'assisted' by the cellular network. It basically tells the phone which satellites are above you so it knows which ones are best to connect to. Otherwise, the phone just tries to figure it out on it's own, which obviously takes a little longer.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Same as using an iPhone 3GS with 3G off or out of range.

6. mkw5053 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Awesome, thank's for the quick and simple responses. I don't have an iPhone so I wasn't sure.

7. meagain macrumors 68030

So Navigon WILL work with just the Wifi version in a car? Do I have that right?

8. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

No, only the 3G version has a GPS radio.

9. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

No, there is no GPS chip at all in the WiFi only version.

10. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

The WiFi-only version of the iPad will pretty much be worthless for any sort of route navigation. The WiFi-only version of the iPad does NOT have a GPS. If you were out in the middle of nowhere, far from any WiFi signal, the WiFi-only version of the iPad couldn't remotely find your location or direct you to the nearest whatever.

Mark

11. meagain macrumors 68030

Unless I was able to tether it to the iPhone's 3g. Correct? (thx)

12. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Mark is correct, the only thing you can do is preload the map while you are in a wifi hot spot then you can have the map available to use like a regular road map, but it will not show you your position on the map. A bit better than a paper road map but certainly not GPS.

This is one of the main reasons that I'm going with the 3G model.

13. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

NO!

An iPhone 3GS itself can find your location out in the middle of nowhere because it has a GPS. But even if you could tether the iPhone's 3G signal to the iPad, the iPad wouldn't know to use that 3G signal for triangulation.

Again, the WiFi-only model does not have a GPS. The ONLY way for a WiFi-only iPad to be able to show your location is if it is connected to a WiFi hotspot that has been mapped by the companies that map WiFi hotspots. Driving down the freeway, there are far too few WiFi hotspots (within range) to allow accurate location services. On a densely populated city street, there would be some hope of finding your location. But without an active WiFi connection while you are traveling, the Maps app would not be able to continue to load the map updates as you move about.

Even walking on foot with a known WiFi signal in every home, while the WiFi-only iPad could locate your spot, you would need access to all of those WiFi hotspots in order to load the map pages. You need a constant data connection while you are moving.

This is why many of us are waiting for the 3G version. You aren't just getting 3G capability for the extra $130, you are also getting a real GPS.

Mark

14. firewood macrumors 604

If it's like the GPS on the iPhone, you may have to wait 5 to 20 minutes for the GPS chip to get an initial fix without 3G coverage. The A in AGPS uses 3G data to get a much quicker fix (in a few seconds) on which satellites are where.

15. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

When I tried this with my 3GS to test it out (airplane mode, wifi on), it could not locate me anywhere near to where it does when 3G is turned on. It was hundreds of feet off, where it gets down to under 10ft when 3G is enabled.