Will Greenpois0n Work on a 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by shakeman0, Oct 8, 2010.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

So far everything I have seen says iPhone 4... Will Greenpois0n work on the 3GS as well? If not I will probably cry myself to sleep tonight...:(

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

No....here is a tweet of what is supported:

chronicdevteam - To those that are asking, A4 / S5L8930 devices are iPhone 4, iPad, iPod touch 4, and AppleTV 2

S-

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No Sorry, just compatible with A4 processors devices

5. shakeman0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Oh.... That sucks... So do I just have to continue waiting for ANOTHER exploit or will the Devs just stop supporting jailbreaks for the 3GS?

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you have a pwned old-bootrom 3GS you will always be able to upgrade using a custom firmware.

As for whether future jailbreaks will work on the 3GS, that depends entirely on what kind of exploit they use. That SHAtter only works on 4th-gen devices is due to the fact that they are using a trick to boot the modified firmware that only works on A4-based devices.

7. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

If you have the SHSH for iOS 3.1.2 saved on the Cydia server, you can downgrade to it, jailbreak, and then use Sn0wbreeze to update to jailbroken 4.1.

I got my 3GS replaced today by Apple, and now can never jailbreak again, unless a Userland (non-bootrom) jailbreak is released for iOS 4. :( It's very important to save those SHSH's, so make sure you are using TinyUmbrella to save them after every new iOS update!

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Comex said he got more "userland" exploit for the 3GS but since those a lot easier to patch by Apple, he is going to wait for 4.2 release that is just weeks away. Those exploit will aid SHAtter to bring Greenpois0n compatible with 4.2 and also cover all other non-A4 devices like your 3GS. ;)

9. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

when did he say that?

been following him on twitter for a couple months...

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

He reply to a bunch of people Here is a couple.

11. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

How often do you have to save your SHSH?

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well. I am a developer, and a user I own 6 iPhone, 3 iPads, 4 Touch, (and 3 unopened Apples TV) and in top of that I am on the paranoid side. I got copy of my SHSHs of every iDevice on 3 computers, 1 server, Dropbox, and iDisk.

Now, best practice is to save your SHSHs every time Apple release a new Firmware, once you use Tiny Umbrella once (or click "make my life easier" on Cydia) you are not suppose to do anything else, Cydia will get all the information it need to request the SHSHs for you. Now saving a local copy is always good idea (in case Saurik find his way with a juicy offer from Apple).